90 Gallon Tank Different gourami's together

tdanny

Hey I will be setting up my second tank this summer and I was hoping to get some very specific advice on keeping multiple different smaller gourami in a tank together
The tank I am setting up is going to be 360L(95 gallons) and 130cm(51inch) long, 50cm(20inch) wide, and 59cm(23inch) tall
I want to mix to 4 pearl gourami(Trichopodus leerii) 4 honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna), and 4 sparkling gourami(Trichopsis pumila) along with a lot of smaller schooling fish like neon tetra, cory's and so fourth.
The tank is going to be heavily planted, with lots of plant covered caves and floating plants for around one third top area

I was hoping to have them in a 3 to 1 female to male ration for all of the gourami.

should I be worried about them getting aggressive cross species?

and is there anything I can do to minimize the chance of cross species issues? my research going around the net all suggest these are very peaceful gourami types, and I found a lot of people keeping the honey and pearls together without issue, but way too little information about the sparkling gourami and how it reacts to other gourami

I do of course plan to add them one at the time and watch carefully as I do, but I rather not stress any fish I don't have to

ProudPapa

I think you'd be okay with the pearls and honeys, but I'm less confident about the sparkling gouramis. jinjerJOSH22?

jinjerJOSH22

Hello and welcome to fishlore.

Keeping multiple species together comes down for me to space and keeping them in adequately sized groups of their own kind.
The tank I am setting up is going to be 360L(95 gallons) and 130cm(51inch) long, 50cm(20inch) wide, and 59cm(23inch) tall
Good sized tank so no worries there ;)
I want to mix to 4 pearl gourami(Trichopodus leerii) 4 honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna),
These should be absolutely fine together and is something I have done in a much smaller tank(though briefly) when I kept 3 or 4 Pearls and 8 Honey's in a 33 gallon. Personally I think 4 is the minimum you should look to get of these fish, 7 or so Pearls and 10 plus Honeys I think would be better social numbers.
and 4 sparkling gourami(Trichopsis pumila)
Personally I believe Sparklers should be the biggest fish in whatever setup they are in. They aren't particularly strong fish and can struggle in the constant presence of larger fish.

along with a lot of smaller schooling fish like neon tetra, cory's and so fourth.
The tank is going to be heavily planted, with lots of plant covered caves and floating plants for around one third top area
Rasbora and Micro Rasbora are good options and are usually less nippy than a lot of Tetra.
I was hoping to have them in a 3 to 1 female to male ration for all of the gourami.
This sounds good.
I wouldn't be too concerned but I would want the Honeys to outnumber the Pearls, make them feel as comfortable as possible.
and is there anything I can do to minimize the chance of cross species issues?
Keep them in larger groups is the best way.
my research going around the net all suggest these are very peaceful gourami types
Honeys I would say so but Pearls can have a devils streak and shouldn't be referred to as peaceful in my opinion.
I do of course plan to add them one at the time and watch carefully as I do, but I rather not stress any fish I don't have to
I assume you mean one species at a time? If so add the Pearls last(after the Honeys, so second I guess), it just makes it easier.

tdanny

Hello and welcome to fishlore.

Keeping multiple species together comes down for me to space and keeping them in adequately sized groups of their own kind.

Good sized tank so no worries there ;)

These should be absolutely fine together and is something I have done in a much smaller tank(though briefly) when I kept 3 or 4 Pearls and 8 Honey's in a 33 gallon. Personally I think 4 is the minimum you should look to get of these fish, 7 or so Pearls and 10 plus Honeys I think would be better social numbers.

Personally I believe Sparklers should be the biggest fish in whatever setup they are in. They aren't particularly strong fish and can struggle in the constant presence of larger fish.

Rasbora and Micro Rasbora are good options and are usually less nippy than a lot of Tetra.

This sounds good.

I wouldn't be too concerned but I would want the Honeys to outnumber the Pearls, make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Keep them in larger groups is the best way.

Honeys I would say so but Pearls can have a devils streak and shouldn't be referred to as peaceful in my opinion.

I assume you mean one species at a time? If so add the Pearls last(after the Honeys, so second I guess), it just makes it easier.
thanks that was a very helpful and detailed answer ^^ I thought Neon tetras where not nonnippy tetras however?

jinjerJOSH22

thanks that was a very helpful and detailed answer ^^ I thought Neon tetras where not nonnippy tetras however?
I think they are one of the less nippy ones but I've heard stories on here of them causing a few issues.

tdanny

I think they are one of the less nippy ones but I've heard stories on here of them causing a few issues.
thanks I have removed from sparkling gourami entire from my list of potential fish for this tank, and upped my number of pearls, while making a note that if I want honeys I will need more of them. I was wondering what is your thoughts on clown killifish (clown killifish), endlers (Poecilia wingei) and CPD (Danio margaritatus) for this setup assuming I get both types for gouramis? ^^ as they are amoung the smaller fish I am considering :) also would green neon(Paracheirodon simulans) be better?

jinjerJOSH22

clown killifish (clown killifish),
green neon(Paracheirodon simulans)
Haven't kept them nor do I know anything about them.
endlers (Poecilia wingei) and CPD (Danio margaritatus)
I have a soft spot for Endlers, which I think are roughly fine to keep with Gourami and I'm a big fan of CPDs though they may be better off in a cooler tank than the Gourami, especially Pearls who like it a bit warmer.

tdanny

Haven't kept them nor do I know anything about them.

I have a soft spot for Endlers, which I think are roughly fine to keep with Gourami and I'm a big fan of CPDs though they may be better off in a cooler tank than the Gourami, especially Pearls who like it a bit warmer.
Thank you^^

Madchild57

Hey I will be setting up my second tank this summer and I was hoping to get some very specific advice on keeping multiple different smaller gourami in a tank together
I want to mix to 4 pearl gourami(Trichopodus leerii) 4 honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna), and 4 sparkling gourami(Trichopsis pumila) along with a lot of smaller schooling fish like neon tetra, cory's and so fourth.

and is there anything I can do to minimize the chance of cross species issues? my research going around the net all suggest these are very peaceful gourami types, and I found a lot of people keeping the honey and pearls together without issue, but way too little information about the sparkling gourami and how it reacts to other gourami

I've had a lot of success pairing honeys with sunset thick lip gouramis. The two species never interact but form social orders within species. Two very chill species overall. Definitely look into some floating plants for them, I'm a big fan of broad leaf water sprite!

tdanny

I've had a lot of success pairing honeys with sunset thick lip gouramis. The two species never interact but form social orders within species. Two very chill species overall. Definitely look into some floating plants for them, I'm a big fan of broad leaf water sprite!
thank you not a fan of thick lip gouramis looks however, no offense just preference, also I am planing on somebetween half and one third floating plant cover, currently I am looking at reet root floaters ^^
Thank you^^
also I given it a lot of thought and I think I am gonna leave the pearl gourami be and just have the 10 honey for my gourami needs and go for more smaller schools as I am big fan of smaller fish :3 I am very thankful for you help, I would have hated to find out after the fact that I placed the pearls in water too cool for them long term ^^

Madchild57

thank you not a fan of thick lip gouramis looks however, no offense just preference, also I am planing on somebetween half and one third floating plant cover, currently I am looking at reet root floaters ^^

also I given it a lot of thought and I think I am gonna leave the pearl gourami be and just have the 10 honey for my gourami needs and go for more smaller schools as I am big fan of smaller fish :3 I am very thankful for you help, I would have hated to find out after the fact that I placed the pearls in water too cool for them long term ^^
I don't blame you, they look better in person than they do on the internet though, and the females don't have the lips.

jinjerJOSH22

thank you not a fan of thick lip gouramis looks however
I recommend looking up Wild colour Thick Lipped Gourami ;)
I think this is the best decision :D
While in my opinion/experience it's generally fine to mix different species(depending on species), you are almost always going to get the best behaviour if you have only one species(of Gourami). I don't think you will regret the decision. :D

tdanny

I recommend looking up Wild colour Thick Lipped Gourami ;)

I think this is the best decision :D
While in my opinion/experience it's generally fine to mix different species(depending on species), you are almost always going to get the best behaviour if you have only one species(of Gourami). I don't think you will regret the decision. :D
Thanks ^^ also if you don't mind yet another question would a single female betta work with the honey gourami school?

jinjerJOSH22

Thanks ^^ also if you don't mind yet another question would a single female betta work with the honey gourami school?
Maybe, but It could always go wrong.

tdanny

Maybe, but It could always go wrong.
just found out like pearls they really need higher temp xD so doesnt matter either way ^^

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingOscar
Replies
Views
Feohw
Replies
Views
adh/smile
Replies
Views