Different Fluval Filter Medias...

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dom90, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

So I was checking out the Fluval website to see the different kinds of filter media they had that I could use in my Fluval 206 for the 40 Breeder I am using for Nyererei cichlids (Victorian haps). Keep in mind that I wont have plants in my tank as cichlids have a bad rep... So I'm wondering if anybody has used "Ammonia Remover" or "ClearMax" before? It says here the "ClearMax" supposedly traps phosphates, nitrites and nitrates. How exactly does it work? It says here that the "Ammonia Remover" removes toxic ammonia through a natural ion-exchange design, so does it basically do the same thing as Prime and detoxifies the ammonia?

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

They wouldn't be the same. Primes detoxifying ability is temporary and within 48 hours the ammonium turns back into ammonia after being converted. Ion exchange replaces one ion with another.

This method is used in water softeners and I have an ion exchange nitrate filter I hook up to my sink. In both of those scenarios they are "charged" with (usually) salt and exchange an ion of chloride for one of nitrate in my nitrate filter or calcium and magnesium in my water softener. They hang onto the ammonia permanantly. They will remove ammonia until the charges of sodium chloride are all used up. After that most media has to be recharged and flushed. This basically allows you to re-charge it with a brine mixture, flushing out the ammonia and re-charging again with salt (out of the tank of course). Then it can go back in your tank and get re-used. Hope I explained that alright!

3. OP
    OP
    Dom90

So basically it will trap the ammonia till the media dissolves away? Does the ClearMax work the same way with nitrates and phosphates?

4. CindiL

No, the media doesn't dissolve away which is why in most of these types of medias they can be re-charged and re-used. It should say if its actually re-chargable. For instance the phosphate reducers are actually not re-chargable.

Fluval should have info on their website regarding each one and if they are disposable only or can be re-charged. Most phosphate absorbing materials like their phosguard cannot be re-charged and have to be disposed of once they quit working (only known through the api test since they don't dissolve).

5. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok I get it, so it basically binds the phosphates till the sodium chloride or whatever ions are "used up". Then once they are used up, you need to replace them with more media? My main concern is that I have some fish in a half-cycled tank because my order of fish came in before my tank fully cycled, so I just want to protect the fish. I dosed 4x the amount of Prime last night to protect the fish, but I want to know if that is the best way to go about it, or if I should add some "Ammonia Remover" or "ClearMax". :eek:

6. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

If you add ammonia remover it will... remove the ammonia, leaving none for your filter. So your filter won't cycle. Only use ammonia remover in emergencies and fish bags.

:)

7. CindiL

Ahh, I see. What are you readings right now for ammonia and nitrites? Are you adding in stability every day or what?

Here is a formula I have used in the past successfully to keep my fish safe when I wasn't cycled:

If ammonia + nitrites is 1.0 or less then double dose Prime and re-check in 24 hours
    If ammonia + nitrites is over 1.0 then do a large water change, double dose prime and re-check in 24 hours.

If you're using Stability, not sure how much protection or up to what level it will offer you and what they recommend for adding in the product and keeping the fish safe at the same time.

8. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok well what I did was... I started cycling Thursday night and added the recommended starter dose of Stability that night... 5mL per 10 gallons, so I added 4 cups (20 mL). Then according to the bottle, you're supposed to dose a cupful for every 20 gallons every subsequent day for a week. But I kind of super-dosed and added the recommended dose every 12 hours till Tuesday morning. Keep in mind I was doing a fishless cycle the whole time and dosed 3 ppm of ammonia on Thursday night. I had a nitrite reading by Saturday morning and ammonia was about 0.50 ppm by that time. I dosed 1 ppm of ammonia at that point. By Tuesday morning, the ammonia was already 0 ppm, but nitrites were somewhere between 2-5 ppm. Before I added the fish last night, I did a 50-75% water change and tested nitrite again, it was about 0.50 ppm. Then I added the fish and I dosed about 3x the recommended dose of Prime, added the "starter dose" of Stability an hour later. Sorry if this looks confusing.

9. CindiL

I guess depending on how much ammonia your new fish put out and how rapidly your nitrites climb will have to be your guage for water changes. You might end up doing daily water changes for a week or so until the cycle finishes up.

Wait, don't you have other cycled tanks? Take some of their media and put it in the tank with the new fish. That will save you a lot of headache.

10. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Way ahead of you :D I put a ton of Biomax ceramic balls from the 75 into the canister for the 40 ^^ Thanks for the advice, I'll have to test the water parameters daily for the next week or so till my cycle finishes it. Must protect the fishies!

Edit: Think I'll transfer more bio balls tonight just to be safe..

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok CindiL, just an update... 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite... Is that because I am really finished cycling or is Prime still in effect?

Edit: it's been about 24 hours since I dosed Prime
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

With prime you'll still get an ammonia and nitrite reading if they're present, prime doesn't make them go away, they're just detoxified (ammonia is now ammonium).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Oh ok then I should be cycled by now, woo! I was worried about protecting the fish with the amount of nitrites present last night. I'm gonna test water parameters for the next few days just to be safe though. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. CindiL

Looks like you got there!
    I was gone for the weekend :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice