Different colors in different lighting?

yuuto
My betta cosmos, for the most part is black/very dark blue, and has some dark reds on his fins along with some cute black dots. I took a picture of him with the flash on and noticed his fins are almost completely purple!

cosmo.jpg in low light and from certin angles he looks almost jet black.

IMG_2850 (1).jpg in regular light you can see the blues and reds along with the dots on his fins

IMG_2907.jpg with an iphone flashlight, his fins turn purple

does anyone know what causes this and does anyone else have something like this with their bettas?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 311

Advertisement
AshleyBetta
Wow, that's lovely!

I've noticed something similar in many of my bettas, namely my lovely crowntail boy Denahi. With little lighting, he looks a grey or silvery lavender. Under lighting however you can see more purple and can see the magenta on his analfins.

Advertisement
Anders247
:kewlpics: Amazing!

Aquaphobia
Wow, I'd love to see what happens under a blacklight!

Biiba
My betta Bandit has a background of pale pink with clear fins. His splodges of colour sometimes look turquoise, but then can look purple or even green depending on the light or angle!!!!

Annie424
I recently had to change the bulb in Flare's tank, and he is a completely different color now. Both pics were taken without flash.

Old bulb:

New bulb:

Advertisement

Tabbycat
My copper betta is the same way. Under lighting he looks more reddish. Without the lighting he will vary in color from silver to reddish-purple.

waterlilykari
Mine (supposedly my son's but as I do just about all the work, I think I can call him mine too, right? ) does the same. It might be how his fins and scales refract the light of that specific bulb type, it might be that the weaker light wasn't bright enough to penetrate his fins to show the colors you could only see if they were lit up, and while it doesn't sound like this is the case with yours but for some a color change can also be due to stress depending on circumstances.

Just to use mine as the example, in the pet store cup he was dull, drab, navy-almost-black but I thought the white edging on his fins & tail was cool so I brought my son to see if that was the one he wanted. By the time we got home, acclimated and released in a 10 gallon tank, much to our surprise he turned a gorgeous sapphire blue! The pics are in the bag during acclimation for the first, within minutes of release in the second and then a few hours later for the last. We also have nice LED lighting on our 10 gallon whereas the LPS had them in cruddy little cups and the lighting consisted of whatever the stone-aged industrial lighting of the LPS was. It might be worth looking into LEDs as well if you think it will help.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1429806766.346137.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1429806825.003039.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1429806881.325886.jpg

mg13
my fish mark has been blue ever since I got him... and just recently I put a small aquarium light in it and he is purple!!!

and his ventral fins are three colors. Blue, purple and red...

Jomolager
My betta cosmos, for the most part is black/very dark blue, and has some dark reds on his fins along with some cute black dots. I took a picture of him with the flash on and noticed his fins are almost completely purple!

,View attachment 159662 in low light and from certin angles he looks almost jet black.
View attachment 159665 in regular light you can see the blues and reds along with the dots on his fins
View attachment 159663 with an iphone flashlight, his fins turn purple

does anyone know what causes this and does anyone else have something like this with their bettas?

You may find answer yo your question on this website:

Apparently it depended on your beam angle and what color, red, green, purple, etc is built in to enhance in your fixture:

sophi
I've noticed that with mine as will. He's supposed to be blue, orange, and black (mustard gas) but he never has colored up. I'll notice he turns completely orange/peach when his lights are off, bit then changes back to mostly black and a little blue when lights come on. He never has looked like what he did in the picture I was given though. I think because my pH might be slightly hard for him. But I think he prefers the dark in general lol. That's when his colors are best...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yuuto
Replies
Views
Tigursevin79
Replies
Views
Flowingfins
Replies
Views