Differences Between Sunsun 602-b And 603-b?

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wondering if anyone knows what the differences between these two filters are? All I could find is one is a tiny bit smaller physically, but not enough to affect the amount of media and it has the same GPH. Seems odd to have two models that are nearly identical!

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not real sure on this but the 603b may be marketed as needing an external pump.

Edit - Looks like the 602 may be the one that can use an external pump.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the 602b is normally used as a prefilter, attached to a much larger canister. But I'm not 100 percent positive on that. If anyone here might know, it's fissh.

OP
wodesorel

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the 603 and it had everything with it.

The 602 is slightly cheaper and I need a few of these so it would save some cash overall. I'm also waiting for either one to come back in stock with Chewy so if they really are the same I'd be happy grabbing whichever is available first.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wodesorel said:
I have the 603 and it had everything with it.

The 602 is slightly cheaper and I need a few of these so it would save some cash overall. I'm also waiting for either one to come back in stock with Chewy so if they really are the same I'd be happy grabbing whichever is available first.
OK, sounds like scarface is right. Use as a prefilter but then you can add an external pump to this real easy if you want.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cichlidude said:
OK, sounds like scarface is right. Use as a prefilter but then you can add an external pump to this real easy if you want.
Not quite. Partly wrong. I found a video I watched a while back. Watch the first 1:37. It should answer everything for the OP.

OP
wodesorel

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you!!

The 602 will end up being a much better fit behind the tanks. Wish I had those on the other tanks instead!

OP
wodesorel

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:
For the money get a 603b, I use 30 of them and it's a great filter for the money.

ttps://
I really like the idea of having it a little smaller. The two 603s I have are great, but it's a pain to get them clean and running again since they are sitting behind a 7 gallon and a 5.5 gallon. Tight fit, and they come a little above the water line so they fuss a lot when starting up. I don't have the space to put them a little below the tank for normal priming, and if they sit all the way on the floor then they don't have enough oomph to pump the water all the way back up again.

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 603 has a 5ft head, which means it that it pump up 5 feet, so it should be able to pump from the floor.

OP
wodesorel

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:
The 603 has a 5ft head, which means it that it pump up 5 feet, so it should be able to pump from the floor.
With media in it, the water got two feet off the ground and completely stopped. I thought it would have been able to do more as well.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wish I had pictures, but my 603b pumps more than 3 feet, sitting on the floor. Did you cut the hoses so there is little slack?

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a few at 5ft, the flow slowed down but didn't stop. I had others at a bit over 3ft and they pumped well. If you cut the hose to fit, it will increase the flow some.

New Threads