Differences between a SUMP and REF? Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ibiaquariums, Mar 26, 2010.

1. i

ibiaquariums Valued Member Member

Hey people ive been reading up on both sumps and refs, but theirs not a thread which explains their differences or purposes.. other then to improve quality of water which is the obvious main reason or for extra storage space/to house a predatorial specimen even.

Could somone or a few of you be kind enough.. to give me a run through and a couple answers to my questions listed below.... thank you thank you!!!!

1. Are they BOTH worth having?
    2. Or can you have just one?
    3. Which one would be the better choice?

Another sort of off the subject question is...

Im not sure wether to buy a skimmer i want to house corals polyps etc etc at some stage, but have read up that these devices take the required nutrients out of the water. True false?

However im def interested in either purchasing or "making" a algae scrubber/prosphate/nitrite remover... im just drawing up a base plan in conjunction with my lid/lighting for that. So thats a definate.

But even with nitrates ive read up also that a little is healthier then none at all, as corals like this?

2. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

SUMP = A really big mechanichal filter
    REFUGIUM = A refuge for live critters or plants.

Basically a sump is used to replace any mehcanichal filtration you have that is used on the display tank. The sump alows you to house a protein skimmer, and filter pads. Some people use the sump for bio-logical filtration aswell by using bioballs or rock rubble. The sump also allows you to place other equipment that does not have to be in the display tank, but the refuge can aslo provide this benifit.

Refuge is basically that, a refuge to house critters. Some people that have really aggressive fish like Triggers, Lionfish or others, use the refuge to house crabs or snails. They do wonder for the refuge itself, but not sure how well that works out in respect to the display tank. The main purpose for a refuge is to house macro-algea to help with excess nitrates and phosphates.

3. OP
    OP
    i

awesome!

A bit i never understood thoe was...

"They do wonder for the refuge itself, but not sure how well that works out in respect to the display tank."

why is this????

4. locoyo386

Well crabs eat left over stuff, but when you feed the display tank, how much food will actually reach the refuge? Also the left over food has to make its way to the refuge in order for the crabs to eat it. The snails eat algae of the glass as well as the rock, what about the algae in the display tank, they will not be able to eat it. The macro algae is more of what I think provides more benefit for the display tank. The macro algae will help reduce nitrates and phosphates.

5. OP
    OP
    i

GOTCHHHHHAAA!! thanx :)

6. locoyo386

Your welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice