Differences between 2 blue crayfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I bought 2 baby crayfish that are blue. Then I noticed their antennas were different. They (crayfish) are roughly the same size a little smaller than two quarters back to back. One had longer slightly thicker and noticeably longer antennas that pointed down while the other has antennas that are shorter and slightly point up. Are these 2 different species? Also the one with the short antennas was bluer than the one with the long ones, which was whitish in some areas but is slightly bigger. They were housed together at purchase. At first I though one was had it antennae "pinched" off by another cray but I looked up some other crayfish and some too had the short ones. I am wondering if one is the procambarus alleni and the other a clarkii, never have owned either but have been reading up on crayfish lately. Can anyone tell me the difference between the alleni and clarkii especially the physical differences? Any help appreciated!

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Crayfish - Crawfish section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!
Ken

theemon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
can i please see clear photos of the "back" between the claws.

but most likely they are the same species. each cray looks a little different, some have long claws, some have short thick claws. and antanne(sp?) do get pinched off alot

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum!

What size tank are these crayfish going to be living in? They will generally fight if not given enough room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom