Question Difference In Behaviour For My Betta

Martine

Reaction score
Hi, i am kinda worried and confused about
1.My betta used to create a massive bubble nest but now he doesn't. Why ? Does that means he is unhealthy and unhappy ? Here's a picture before and after. The tank was left for few days not directly took after tank cleaning

Although i dont have any test kits , i do dechlorinate the water and let it sit for at least one hour before performing water change every 3 days. i assume there is no sudden change in environment as i did the same thing since i got him . Mine is a 2.5 gallon tank with no filter and heater as the temperature is constantly in 77f . Its has two java fern attached to driftwood and only one betta in it.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Martine said:
My betta used to create a massive bubble nest but now he doesn't. Why ? Does that means he is unhealthy and unhappy ?
Not at all. My male has never made a bubble nest. Some just don't. There are also times when they do and don't; they get triggered to under some conditions like seeing or smelling or being with a female.

I am a bit concerned though. You said you don't have a heater or filter. Okay, you don't have any substrate and can easily see waste and you water change every 3 days, so I'm not going to say you need a filter. However, filters don't just help keep the tank clean, they also host the beneficial bacteria that converts poisonous ammonia to slightly less toxic nitrite and then nitrate. Without substrate and without a filter, you don't have a whole lot of surfaces for this bacteria to grow. They can grow on the tank walls and plants and driftwood, but if you clean those, that bacteria is lost, making your tank and fish vulnerable to ammonia and nitrite build up. And you won't know this without a test kit.

Is the water temperature constantly 77 or the air temperature? There's a difference.

I can't tell if your fish has clamped fins for sure because the fins may just be like that when you took the photo, if you know what I mean. If your fish's fins are mostly by its sides/body and aren't out and moving freely, it may have clamped fins. That would mean something is wrong.

Martine said:
The tank was left for few days not directly took after tank cleaning
How do you clean the tank?

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some bettas (mine included) will go through phases where they make nests and then dont, some never make them at all- I wouldn't be too worried about that on it's own. I would seriously consider adding a filter and a heater and consider upgrading to a 5g. tanks that small can fluctuate really heavily at the drop of a hat, especially without a filter to keep things more stable. You can quite easily diy a sponge filter if you don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

My first thoughts are that he may be perfectly fine and just acting differently, there may be a bit of an ammonia build up from his waste, or maybe your tap water has changed. I once had a problem where my water suddenly when from having a ph of about 7 to being almost 9.

Along with the question above- when doing a water change how much water do you swap out?

Martine

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
they get triggered to under some conditions like seeing or smelling or being with a female.
u mean they are triggered to create bubble nest instead of an indication of happy and healthy ?

CheshireKat said:
Is the water temperature constantly 77 or the air temperature?
definitely the water temperature as u can see in the very last photo.

CheshireKat said:
I can't tell if your fish has clamped fins for sure because the fins may just be like that when you took the photo
Pretty sure he constantly flaunt his fin as shown in the 1st pic, right now he's fin is constantly closed

CheshireKat said:
How do you clean the tank?
I take the fish out with its water, Rinse and scrub with barehand with tapwater for the tank and java fern then pour in the dechlorinated water i prepared beforehand into the tank. Lastly put the fish into the tank. i know tapwater do kill the beneficial bacteria but is it a must to have it ? i took out uneaten food and bioload so i suppose there will be no ammonia in the tank therefore no nitrogen cycle

Salem said:
Some bettas (mine included) will go through phases where they make nests and then dont
why do they make nest and sometimes dont ?

Salem said:
when doing a water change how much water do you swap out?
40%

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Martine said:
I take the fish out with its water, Rinse and scrub with barehand with tapwater for the tank and java fern
You absolutely do not want to do that. Not only does it stress the fish out, but yes, you are killing off what little good bacteria you may have.
Martine said:
i know tapwater do kill the beneficial bacteria but is it a must to have it ?
Beneficial bacteria? Definitely. In nature, everything is covered with bacteria, slime, algae, and dirt. There's an ecosystem that takes care of things and allows for life. In an aquarium, there is no ecosystem and everything is dependent on you to look after. The best thing you can do for your fish is to allow what little nature does exist in your tank to live and work. The beneficial bacteria makes the tank safer.

What dechlorinater do you use? Some detoxify ammonia and would be good for you right now.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Martine said:
I take the fish out with its water, Rinse and scrub with barehand with tapwater for the tank and java fern then pour in the dechlorinated water i prepared beforehand into the tank. Lastly put the fish into the tank. i know tapwater do kill the beneficial bacteria but is it a must to have it ? i took out uneaten food and bioload so i suppose there will be no ammonia in the tank therefore no nitrogen cycle
it is technically possible to have and to maintain a tank without it being cycled but it is extremely risky and requires a lot of maintenence. If you miss a water change the ammonia will build up and can kill the fish and you need to try and get all the uneaten food and poop out which can be time consuming. With a cycled tank there is beneficial bacteria that will naturally take care of the ammonia so you dont have to be so careful with making sure you get all the poop and all the food. You also wouldn't have to do such a big water change and deep clean so often. Though with a tank that small you would still need to do at least a 25% water change once a week.

Martine said:
why do they make nest and sometimes dont
there are a lot of reasons, happiness and health do sometimes have a little bit to do with it but so does age, diet, season, temperature, level of interaction, and personality of the individual fish. For example my own betta makes more nests in the fall and if the floating plants happen to be clumped over his favourite spot he will always add some bubbles.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Martine said:
why do they make nest and sometimes dont ?
Boredom, instinct, reproductive reasons, happiness levels, varying health, and so on. I have an air-powdered filter in my male betta's tank that circulates the water well, so I don't think he sees that as optimum for nest building. But he's not going to breed, so a nest isn't necessary any more than I need a nursery room, so I don't care whether he makes one or not.
Here's some articles you may find useful:
Betta Fish Bubble Nest: Does Your Betta Build One? | Better Bettas
Betta Fish Bubble Nests - everything you need to know

I see small tanks with no filter and full cleanings like living in a small bathroom and never leaving it. Who wants to live in their bathroom? Then say your little bathroom you live in has no ventilation so when you clean it every week, all you smell is cleaning products. Living in a small environment filled with toxins with no air circulation or fresh air is going to be very harmful. Plus boring and no way to live.
It's not the perfect analogy, but that's how I see it.

You don't have to have a filter if you are diligent about cleaning up waste and debris. But if you're sick and can't do it for awhile, or if you are unable to for whatever reason, that can be(come) a problem. If you didn't scrub clean everything, enough bacteria could potentially populate on the decor to handle your tank.

Martine

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
There's an ecosystem that takes care of things and allows for life
So the ecosystem in my tank will exist no matter what i do like taking out bioload and uneaten food ?

Salem said:
This somehow affect its appearance of fin and making of bubble nest right ?

gonna do more research about it until further question. Thanks to both of you on being so responsive towards my question !

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Martine said:
So the ecosystem in my tank will exist no matter what i do like taking out bioload and uneaten food ?
Yes and no. There isn't an true ecosystem in your tank, but there are natural things taking place. One of them is the nitrogen cycle fueled by ammonia-causing waste eaten by bacteria that produce nitrites which are eaten by bacteria that produce nitrates. Here the cycle stops because in an aquarium, the only thing that reduces nitrates are water changes or plants (or special products, but let's not get into those).
Regardless of what you do, bacteria will grow. That's just how things are. You need to take out waste and uneaten food so it doesn't build up and take over (or look unsightly), but they do feed the nitrogen cycle. Without ammonia, nitrites won't be fed, and without nitrites, nitrates won't be fed. Then when you have a bunch of ammonia, there'll be nothing to eat it. That's why scrubbing clean your tank can be harmful; if you remove the good bacteria, then when you have ammonia, nothing can eat it up so it's not harming your fish.
In nature, you'll notice dirt, gunk, debris... It's not sparkling clean. Yet, things still live. That's because there's a lot of invisible or overlooked things at work like bacteria that breaks down waste and other organic matter and fresh water being added. But nothing is removed completely.
So while you want to remove waste and whatnot, you don't want to over-clean your tank.
I hope this makes sense.

Martine said:
Thanks to both of you on being so responsive towards my question !
No problem, that's why we're here.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Martine said:
This somehow affect its appearance of fin and making of bubble nest right ?
diet can affect fish in many ways, just like how it can in people.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom