Difference Between Seachem Focus And Api Furan-2

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ap4lmtree, Jun 19, 2019.

1. ap4lmtreeWell Known MemberMember

Hi. Do any of you know the main differences between these two medications. I know that api furan-2 is more widely used, especially on this forum. Api Furan-2 has Nitrofurazone and doxycycline whereas seachem focus has Nitrofurantoin. However, they both belong to the nitrofuran class of drugs ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrofuran ). It looks like focus is more for internal bacteria infections while furan-2 is more topical (unless combined with kanaplex).

However, i wonder if one could be used in place of the other for the same effect because they are both Nitrofuran class drugs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Nitrofuran is a general antibiotic group. As I quote from the study which I will provide "The nitrofurans form a group of drugs with a wide spectrum of antimicrobial activity". Nitrofurazone and nitrofurantoin although similar, have different effects on bacteria and do treat different things. For example, nitrofurantoin is used to treat urinary tract infections in humans. Nitrofurazone is typically for topical infections (regarding humans). I'd have to dig deeper to discover what the true difference, presumably a structural difference, but they are labeled as different things for a reason. Here is a study that compares mutated resistance developed with nitrofurazone and nitrofurantoin: .

As a quick quote from the study that confirms that these are in fact, nitrofurans with differing effects (although similar), here is a quote from the discussion section of the paper: "Up to the third level, increases in resistance were accompanied by decreased nitrofuran reductase activity but the changes were not the same for the two drugs."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019