Difference Between Ich And Pure White Sand. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SamAPFish, Jun 16, 2019.

1. SamAPFishValued MemberMember

So yesterday I noticed that my two zebra loaches have a ton of white dots all over there gills, fins, and body. They are also rubbing against the intake of my power head, but I’m still thinking it may just be sand stuck to them. Should I stop treating fish? Thanks!

2. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Could you post a picture?

3. A201Well Known MemberMember

Without pics, really can't give opinion on the possible Ick infestation. Loaches in general don't handle meds very well. They don't handle the salt & heat remedy well either, but IMO
    salt & heat would be the best choice.

4. BasilWell Known MemberMember

If they are rubbing, than something is certainly irritating them. So it could be ich or it could be sand from them rubbing.
    Do you ever see less dots like the sand has fallen off?

5. SamAPFishValued MemberMember

Nope I never see less dots. Also the ich doesn’t seem to have spread to the other fish so I’m going to do a less powerful solution of the ich medication so I don’t kill my loaches.ill post a picture in one sec

Attached Files:

6. SamAPFishValued MemberMember

Quick question; if I continue treating with chemicals to get rid of ich, how many days of the ich staying on the fish should I decide I don’t actually have ich?

7. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

What are your water parameters?

Ich will only affect stressed fish. If it is ich, loaches can be stressed before other fish if the water is bad.
    How long have you had the loaches.

8. SamAPFishValued MemberMember

I’ve had the loaches for about a year now. I couldn’t imagine bad water quality as I do 1-2 large water changes a week. I think the ich was introduced from 6 new fish I brought in to my tank from online. They don’t have ich but I introduced those fish like 2 weeks ago and now I have ich. My water parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, and about 30 nitrate.

9. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

from the pic it looks like sand. but is that a pic of the loaches or rocks?

10. SamAPFishValued MemberMember

The loach is in the rocks. It’s weird because it doesn’t come off when he’s swimming around flashing on the sand, so either he picks up more and more when he is hitting the sand or he has ich. I just don’t wanna treat for ich when they don’t actually have it.