Difference between endlers and wild guppy

Chiasmodon

I cannot differentiate endlers from wild guppies. To me they look the same. Specially the female

BPSabelhaus

I cannot differentiate endlers from wild guppies. To me they look the same. Specially the female
The females do look the same or at least very very similar.

But male Endlers (for the most part) have a smaller body, more metallic colouration, many (but not all) have a black comma mark on the side and (from what I have read) they have a slightly different gonopodium (microscopic)

Some of my Endlers and Endler/Guppy hybrids.

4928D567-6E35-40A8-9038-A2DDB0A6B508.jpeg
4DCA06AC-A6C4-4927-A6AA-58A55F2CDAC9.jpeg
4E5BE120-EA9D-4636-9957-2C3A0428A300.jpeg

That black band is a good indicator.

But, there are ones like the Staeck Endler with a double dot. Those are a bit similar to wild type guppies in terms of markings, but again with the big black markings.
I will have some one day lol

B90401C7-CC19-4362-9AA3-97AC24B6612B.jpeg

Chiasmodon

But male Endlers (for the most part) have a smaller body, more metallic colouration, many (but not all) have a black comma mark on the side and (from what I have read) they have a slightly different gonopodium (microscopic)

But, there are ones like the Staeck Endler with a double dot.

The one below looks a bit like one of my wild guppies hahaha. I was in a petstore and I saw endlers and I was like.. Aren't these wild guppies but the owner labeled the tank endlers so I was confused a bit. Ty for the info. Btw, The pic below shows one of my wild guppies that looks a bit like the ender you have

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_113400.jpg
    IMG_20220123_113400.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 4

emeraldking

Endlers differ from the guppies in DNA.
There's a slight difference in bodyshape and the dorsal starts a bit more sooner on the back of a female endler in comparison to a female guppy. But that's so slight that you'll hardly notice that difference.

807605-29107349e3f261446c03581caa8b8b35.jpg
807604-17723176be80c414af5aa529a5dd640f.jpg
807606-bd54ca4616c91836215901ba2383133c.jpg

That the colors of an endler are more metallic is a general thing. For you need to know that there are also wild guppies that are very metallic. But those occur where there's no threat of predators around. Most wild guppies occur in areas where there is a certain threat of predators. In that case, those colors are not that intense.

The number of finrays in the dorsal and the analfin in endlers don't differ from a wild guppy. But once an analfin of a young male endlers starts to turn into a gonopodium, there's a slight difference in shape and the number of hooks in comparison to a gonopodium of a guppy. But despite of these two differences, the sexual organs of both endler and guppy are compatible enough to make a natural mating possible. That's why both species can crossbreed.

Not all wild endler strains (both from the Cumana and the Campoma region) have a black comma mark. That's more related to the black bar endler and the limegreen endler (both from the Cumana region).
But, there are ones like the Staeck Endler with a double dot. Those are a bit similar to wild type guppies in terms of markings, but again with the big black markings.
The staeck endler can have 1, 2, 3 or even 4 dots (monocles) on both sides of the body. On both sides should be te same number of monocles. I've kept them for years and still do. Then one you have shown is an N-class but the linebred version. The original wild version is less attractive to look at and has elongated double swords. The specimens that are offered are of the linebred version.
It's also still a debatable case wether the staeck endler is a genuine endler or a natural hybrid between guppy and endler. When I met up with Dr. Wolfgang Staeck in Berlin in Germany, he claimed that it's a genuine endler.
The one below looks a bit like one of my wild guppies hahaha. I was in a petstore and I saw endlers and I was like.. Aren't these wild guppies but the owner labeled the tank endlers so I was confused a bit. Ty for the info. Btw, The pic below shows one of my wild guppies that looks a bit like the ender you have
The male you'd showed is a wildtype guppy (fancy guppy but with the wild guppy phenotype). If you keep different kinds of fancy guppies in one tank, at some point (after a couple of generations) you'll notice that a number of males will revert to wild phenotype.

Overhere number of N-class endlers from both the Cumana and Campoma region:
More N-class endlers

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 2
  • ****.jpg
    ****.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 2
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2
  • c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 2
  • c9.jpg
    c9.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2
  • c21.jpg
    c21.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 2
  • c31.jpg
    c31.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2
  • c42.jpg
    c42.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 2
  • c46.jpg
    c46.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 2
  • es.jpg
    es.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 2
  • et.jpg
    et.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1
  • lbts.jpg
    lbts.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1
  • lm.jpg
    lm.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1
  • od.jpg
    od.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Rb.jpg
    Rb.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1
  • rc.jpg
    rc.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ro.jpg
    ro.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ro2006.jpg
    ro2006.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1
  • yts.jpg
    yts.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0

BassaraAhara

Yep, I used to keep my guppies and endlers together. Well, while the endlers were alive anyways. It was mainly males.

ProudPapa

It seems to me that female endler bodies are more slender relative to length than guppies. Maybe emeraldking or someone can confirm that? I got my first endlers exactly one week ago, so I could certainly be wrong.

BassaraAhara

It seems to me that female endler bodies are more slender relative to length than guppies. Maybe emeraldking or someone can confirm that? I got my first endlers exactly one week ago, so I could certainly be wrong.
I have one female endler named Mary.. female endlers are relatively small and lean compared to female guppies, but a bit plumper compared to male guppies.

emeraldking

Here are a number of hybrid strains that are also called endler but we can not use the scientific name Poecilia wingei. For scientific names are only allowed to use when they are pure endlers. Neither can they be called Poecilia reticulata, Poecilia obscura or Poecilia kempkesi. For they are neither pure guppies. But you're allowed to call such hybrids; guppy or endler. But it depends more on the phenotypical traits that leans more to endler or guppy. Depending on that, you can name them an endler or a guppy (so, just the common name).
I've mentioned Poecilia obscura and Poecilia kempkesi before. These are the other official guppy groups in the wild next to Poecilia reticulata... for not all wild guppies are Poecilia reticulata. For when you surf the internet or look in a commercial aquarium book, you only see mentioned Poecilia reticulata as the scientific name for the guppy. But Poecilia reticulata is just one of them. But it is the most widely spread species in comparison to P.obscura and P.kempkesi.

The tiger hybrid is also called yellow jacket endler. The tuxedo endler is also called black flame endler (commercial name). And the snakeskin endler is also called cobra endler.

And again, these are all hybrid strains but are called endler because their traits lean more to endler than to guppy.

Attachments

• bbs.jpg
    bbs.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 2
  • bo.jpg
    bo.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 2
  • bl.jpg
    bl.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
  • byts.jpg
    byts.jpg