Difference between API Stress Coat and Prime

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hello, I have been using API Stress Coat+, but I picked up some prime the other day since my ammonia was high. I did not realize stress coat was an ammonia remover as well. anyone have a preference between the two products?

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Lets see.....Prime converts ammonia into a non-toxic form while detoxing nitrite and nitrate. Provides slime coat aid, removal of chlorine, chloramines. Can dose up to 5x the recommended dose for emergency.

Stress coat is basically a water conditioner that aids in aloe slime coat, healing damaged tissue, removes heavy metals, chlorine, chloramines. Says it removes ammonia from tap water but if I recall it's not that affective for ammnonia removal....Prime is better to use when there is toxins present, for when cycling with fish.

I use both but Stress Coat is my main water conditioner due to my tanks are cycled.

The link below gives more details for the products.

Cheers!

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thanks for the info...I will use both until my tank has finished cycling, then stick with stress coat again.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just as a heads up, a capful dose of Prime only detoxifies 1ppm ammonia, so if your ammonia levels are above 1ppm, the fish are still being subjected to free ammonia.

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
does it detoxify more/less based on the size of the tank? I have a 46 gallon with 2ppm right now. I added 1 cap full, should I add a second?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One capful dose detoxifies 1ppm, so yeah I'd double dose to make sure, and also try to get that ammonia level down through water changes if possible, since prime only detoxifies the ammonia for up to 48hrs.

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have been doing 30% changes every day since my ammonia peaked at 4ppm. I weant away this weekend and came back and tested again and am down to 2ppm. I will perform a 50% change this afternoon.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When Chloramine is removed from water by a water conditioner, it actually produces a slight amount of ammonia. Stress Coat+ is supposed to remove the small amount of ammonia that is created.

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have well water, so I have no chlorine.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, you probably do have chlorine....

Both city and well water have things in them that are not healthy for you. Iron, sulfur, lead, arsenic, nitrates, chlorine, chloramines, M.T.B.E. and fluoride...

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been using Stress Coat since I learnt about ammonia
If I have a spike, or I'm ever worried about one coming (accidental over feeding) stress coat has always carried me through. I have a small tank that is hard to keep stable because the betta in it is too sick to handle a proper filter, and I swear the only reason he's alive is stress coat.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use Prime for water changes and add Stress Coat every so often to help with the slime.

Kopeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use prime for my water changes.

It pretty much handles any toxins in my water so I don't have to worry about it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads