Diet for Blood Parrot Cichlid

L046

I would like to add some variety to my blood parrot cichlid's diet, but he seems to be rather picky eater. He likes his Hikari Gold floating pallets, blood worms and green peas and these 3 form the basis of his diet. I experimented with other vegetables, but I'm yet to find any that are to his liking. So far I tried:
1) fresh cucumber cut into pea size pieces
2) blanched carrot cut into small pieces
3) boiled potatoes cut into pieces
4) sweetcorn
He totally ignored all of the above
5) boiled cauliflower and brocoli - he ate some with reluctance
6) green peas - he loves it, more than his pallets

I heard that others found success in feeding their parrots all of the above. Should I prepare them in any special way? Is there a special trick to feeding vegetables to parrots? Can anyone share any serving suggestions or any other home or store brought foods that I can try? Should I simply keep trying with vegetables listed above and hope that he will eventually try them and discover that he actually likes them? What about meats? Are hikari pallets and fresh blood worms enough for him or should I get some other types?

I should probably mention that he has 300l aquarium all to himself, so it's relatively easy to verify whether he ate something or not.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore, we have several parrot keepers hope they can help answer your questions

Upvote 0

L046

I didn't realize that you have a special category for blood parrots. Thank you for moving my post!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NanoFish4Life
Replies
Views
Joshua G
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cambrianexplosion24