10 Gallon Tank Didn't properly cycle

PhillyFishGirl
HI all. I inherited two goldfish quite some time ago. One died and the other has been living alone in a 2 1/2 gallon aquarium with gravel and a fake plant. After feeling guilty for quite a while I, with the help of an experienced fish friend, set up a 10 gallon aquarium 2 days ago. I purchased 2 sunburst platys to keep my goldfish company. Now (after the fact) that I have read about the nitrogen cycle and cycling a new tank, I am really worried that my fish will not fare well and I want to be ready to fix any problems. Does anyone have experience with this? I am so sorry that I did not prepare the way I should have. Right now, all seems well. Two are eating fine (flake food), one not so much. Should I be immediately buying test kits and adjusting or just hope for the best at this point? Any help is appreciated.

Aquarist
Hello Philly. Don't feel so bad. Many of us have been where you are at one point in time. As far as the fish are concerned it really isn't a good idea to mix goldfish (cold water) with tropical fish (warm water). The gold fish alone should actually go into at least a 20 gallon tank. Then for each additional goldfish would require 10 gallon each. If I were in your position I would try to re-home the goldfish and keep the platy's.
A test kit (API freshwater) would be your best bet. At the moment your fish are at risk for ammonia poisoning. Once you get the kit (and I'd suggest soon) you'll be a lot better off. To keep things under control and your fish alive, I would suggest 50% daily or every other day at the very least water change. Add something like Prime, Amquel + and or Nova Aqua plus. The Amquel + will detoxify the water of ammonia but won't delay the cycle in any way. You'll still get some ammonia readings but they won't be toxic for 24 hours until the next water change. It's going to take time for your tank to cycle.
Hang in there. It will get easier once your tank cycles. Try to keep it fun and best of luck to you and your fish.
Glad you came aboard to Fish Lore!

Beth1965
Welcome to FishLore!!
I say, "ditto" to aquarist. When you go get the API test kit, splurge and get the kit that comes with the test tubes and color charts, the kit with the strips is not so accuarate
Have a good weekend.
Beth

PhillyFishGirl
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond. I wish I didn't have to get rid of my goldfish but what you say makes sense. Hoping the kit can wait until tomorrow. I have to go to work. I really appreciate the help.

Beeker
HI PhillyFishGirl! Welcome to FishLore!

Don't worry. I started the same way with my goldfish. I started with bringing home 6 in a jelly jar, and ended up going from a 1 gal., to 5, to 10, before I learned about the cycle and the needs of a goldfish. I now have them in a 75 gallon tank. I don't regret spending the money. They are great fish!

The best test kit is the API Master Test kit. It is the one that most of us here in FishLore use. Here is the link:

I hope this is helpful.
Again, welcome to FishLore!

Brimstonepdx
PhillyFishGirl said:
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond. I wish I didn't have to get rid of my goldfish but what you say makes sense. Hoping the kit can wait until tomorrow. I have to go to work. I really appreciate the help.

You could always check craigslist and freecycle for a 2nd tank more appropriate for them then you can have both!

Beeker
Sure, I made use of my smaller tanks. My 10 is a QT/baby tank, (I shouldn't have given my 5 gal. away), and I have two 20s that I bought for tropicals. I have one in use that is filled with platies and snails (live plants). No complaints! MTS is fun!

Lucy
Welcome to Fish Lore

Good advice from the posters above.
Good luck with your tank.

PhillyFishGirl
So, here is the bad news. One of the platys is hanging in the corner at the top near the heater. The other two, miraculously, seem fine. I am out the door and won't be able to do anything until morning. I'm guessing it is high ammonia that is causing the problem. Should I do a partial water change with treated water or just leave things as they are? I fear I will come home to a very sick or dead fish. Thanks again for all the help.

Lucy
I'd def. do a water change and have your water tested asap.

PhillyFishGirl
Update: When I fed fish this morning, the platy that has been hanging in the corner came out and swam around for about half an hour. He didn't eat at all and now is back by the heater on the bottom not doing much of anything. I got the kit that Beeker recommended and tested all levels. They are:
Ammonia- between 0.5 and 1.0
pH- 7.6
Nitrite- .50
Nitrate- 10
I haven't purchased anything else except Prime- couldn't find the Amquel +. I am thinking I should definitely do another partial water change but am feeling helpless to help my little platy. Does anyone think I should try Ammo lock? Sorry to have so many questions but I really want these guys to live. Thanks.

Lucy
Don't worry about asking too many questions.
Just continue daily water changes with Prime. Prime is detoxing the ammonia and nitrite for your fishies.

PhillyFishGirl
Thanks Lucy. Going to do that right now.

PhillyFishGirl
Last question- I am adding Prime to the tap water I will be adding to the tank. Should I add enough to treat the water already in the tank also?

Lucy
I usually add enough to treat the new water (but I'm not using it for ammonia). I think others who are cycling with fish add enough to treat the tank.

Latest threads

Top Bottom