Did you feel guilty eating fish after setting up your first aquarium?

ER9
sushI has always been my favorite food and I absolutelly love it. I havn't had an aquarium though in 20 years. I recently set one up and have gotten attached to my fish. yesterday I was going to grab some sushI for lunch and all of a sudden this feeling of guilt came over me.

i'm sure in a couple weeks I will be like.....hmm my little buddy over there in my aquarium is loking a bit fat and juicy....I guess I shouldn't really worry unless I start feeding my little buddies unconsciously holding a pair of chopsticks but....anyone else feel guilty eating seafood lol?

capekate
LOL ER9
I had to laugh when I saw your post. I thought I was the only one that felt guilty for eating sushI after setting up my tanks. hehe...
I also look at eating fish differently now... I just love my lil guys. But I know that eating fish is good for us so I still do.. BUT I will leave my guys in the tank no matter how big they get! lol j/k

~ kate

ER9
LOL ER9
I had to laugh when I saw your post. I thought I was the only one that felt guilty for eating sushI after setting up my tanks. hehe...
I also look at eating fish differently now... I just love my lil guys. But I know that eating fish is good for us so I still do.. BUT I will leave my guys in the tank no matter how big they get! lol j/k

~ kate

/whew

lol...ok now I feel better. thought maybe I was going a little cuckoo in the coconut.

i'm going to get a tee shirt with a great big shark on the front and wear it when I go from now on until the guilt goes away. a reminder that sharks eat other fish so it must be ok for me to as well...

TheEssigs
No Way!

I love fish, especially shell fish. Not to fond of deep water fish, but love the white meat fishes, like tilapia & flounder as well as red snapper. Shell fish is my favorite. Lobster and shrimp coming in first, followed by clams and scallops. ummmmmm I love Zuppa dI Clams!! (with about a loaf and a half of Italian bread for dipping)

tetragirl
I Love SuishI Too and like fish and chips as a treat

I just don't eat it in front of my pet fish!

Liz

Kiwwi
I was actually thinking of this yesterday when I was eating sushi. Well I guess if it does not swim in my tank its all good.

MissMTS
It was weird for me at first but since fish is one of my favorite foods, I got over it quickly. Plus, I don't ever see any of the types of fish that I have in my tanks being served at restaraunts

ER9
I Love SuishI Too and like fish and chips as a treat

I just don't eat it in front of my pet fish!

Liz

lol...that cracked me up. I guess its only at the restaurant from now on.

I was actually thinking of this yesterday when I was eating sushi. Well I guess if it does not swim in my tank its all good.

lol...another good point...keep em coming. the guilt is fading.

It was weird for me at first but since fish is one of my favorite foods, I got over it quickly. Plus, I don't ever see any of the types of fish that I have in my tanks being served at restaraunts

good point...I should review sushI menu's and stock my tank with non sushI variety.

No Way!

I love fish, especially shell fish. Not to fond of deep water fish, but love the white meat fishes, like tilapia & flounder as well as red snapper. Shell fish is my favorite. Lobster and shrimp coming in first, followed by clams and scallops. ummmmmm I love Zuppa dI Clams!! (with about a loaf and a half of Italian bread for dipping)

god this post made my mouth water....ok I think i'm cured.

Oblivion
Guilty? No way! I love sushi! Plus it's deep sea salt water compared to tropical freshwater or reef saltwater. Either way, they are sure delicious

offminded
I actually ate my sushI sitting in front of my tank within a week it was set up...and the sushI was darn good!! ;D

COBettaCouple
Well I'm not a fan of sushi, but we have eaten fish for dinner with the fish watching. It's ok - we don't tell them it's fish.

ER9
I actually ate my sushI sitting in front of my tank within a week it was set up...and the sushI was darn good!! ;D

that's just cold

Well I'm not a fan of sushi, but we have eaten fish for dinner with the fish watching. It's ok - we don't tell them it's fish.

gotta remember that...."i'm eating chicken fellas....mmmm....tasty fried chicken"

Guilty? No way! I love sushi! Plus it's deep sea salt water compared to tropical freshwater or reef saltwater. Either way, they are sure delicious

noted...noted...and

Tom
I love fish, for food and for a pet. I will always love it, no matter how much I love my aquariums, I will love eating it just as much.
Tom

ER9
I love fish, for food and for a pet. I will always love it, no matter how much I love my aquariums, I will love eating it just as much.
Tom

lol...this reminded me of a conversation I had with a guy I work with. he truly loves his cichlid 'jimmy' but made it very clear...."if there's ever a disatrous earthquake and I need to eat....I love my little buddy but he's going in the frying pan"

Coryd55
Ahhhh I have a craving for sushI now. I don't feel bad because I would never own any of the fish I eat. I mean even if I had chickens or cows I would still eat beef or chicken. Sure I wouldn't eat fried angels or baked bristlenose pleco with a clam sauce but other fish are fine as long as they aren't the same species that I own =)

Tom
Ahhhh I have a craving for sushI now. I don't feel bad because I would never own any of the fish I eat. I mean even if I had chickens or cows I would still eat beef or chicken. Sure I wouldn't eat fried angels or baked bristlenose pleco with a clam sauce but other fish are fine as long as they aren't the same species that I own =)

But have you had discus or oscar?
Tom

Coryd55
Nope. Why? Do they cook them???

ambientchica
lol! I JUST had this conversation with my DH. He is an absolute fishing addict. He would go every day if he could. Last night he was asking all sorts of questions about my fish and I asked him if he would like to learn how to keep a tank. He said he didn't think he wanted to get attached to fish because he didn't want to feel guilty about fishing! lol! I couldn't stop laughing. He was the last person in the world I would think would feel guilty about fishing after caring for a tank.

Ive thought about it a couple times but living in Florida - there is no way I could stop eating fish!

mlinden84
I've never liked to eat fish/sushi/shrimp/crab/anything seafood. I just don't like the way it tastes.

COBettaCouple
I grew up in Florida and would find it hard to give up seafood. The thing about seafood's taste is that it really needs to be prepared correctly.

Sanders_BALR
Nope. I LOVE fish. catfish, bluegill, Lake perch, tuna, tilapia, flounder, mmmm so good! I'm a HUGE fan of crab , lobster, shrimp and oysters. yum yum.:;pirate

Neville
hey guys, I am from Bangladesh (I think everyone knows), our main food is fish and rice, we have lots of fish in our country, various species of fish, but none of those r aquarium fish, they r very tasty, here is a picture of Hilsa, it is the most popular fish in our country, it's Yummy

Allie
Peterpiper
Never name something you intend to kill and eat. My dad had chooks and ducks, yummie eggs and great roast chooks and ducks. Fishing has always been a part of my life, so yes I eat seafood, and love it. when fishing, only take what you neeed, treat it with respect, its all part of nature..

MagpieTear
Sardines in oil FTW!

lyndatu
Whenever I eat tilapia I always think about my dwarf gourami. "So this is what it looks like inside"

Well I don't really feel guilty, but quite disgusted.......:;pumpkin

ER9
Whenever I eat tilapia I always think about my dwarf gourami. "So this is what it looks like inside"

Well I don't really feel guilty, but quite disgusted.......:;pumpkin

I can see it now...i'm in my favorite sushI bar getting comfortable with a plate of sushI in front of me....grab my chopsticks and go for my first piece and all i'm gonna see is two itty bitty fish eyes looking back at me begging me...noooooo...........nooooooooooo..........nooooooooooooooooo

0morrokh
I always feel a little weird eating seafood. Most fish isn't my favorite to eat but I love shrimp. I've thought of it, but to me it doesn't make sense to give up fish but still eat other meat...I don't see any difference between eating a cow or a fish. And no way I could ever give up beef.

Bonochick
I did feel guilty! Worse...the tank is in the dining room. I felt like they were all watching me, thinking, how could you????????

ER9
I did feel guilty! Worse...the tank is in the dining room. I felt like they were all watching me, thinking, how could you????????

lol.......just lol.....that just cracks me up.

hey guys, I am from Bangladesh (I think everyone knows), our main food is fish and rice, we have lots of fish in our country, various species of fish, but none of those r aquarium fish, they r very tasty, here is a picture of Hilsa, it is the most popular fish in our country, it's Yummy

I don't know Neville...that hilsa looks a bit like one of my favorite danios...

chickadee
I am not much of a meat eater anyway but when the bettas became my little buddies, I am having to choke down any fish that enters my mouth. I still eat it but I have to take it in the kitchen to do it. I have tanks in the living room, den, my bedroom and the dining room so that takes care of the rest of the house and I refuse to go into the bathroom to eat. Silly? Maybe so, but it is just hard to watch them watch me eat fish.
I just could not eat anything I ever got to know. If I had to live on a farm, I would be skinny for sure.

Rose

Phishies Inn
Nah, I like fish. Salmon, sushi, cod, lobster, crab, flounder, etc...you name it, I probably like it. The only fish I've tried that I don't like is swordfish or tuna. Not tuna fish in a can, but actual tuna. Never been a fan.

Besides I mean really, I don't have any fish that would make a decent meal anyways lol! But no, I don't really put those fish in the same category as the fish I eat, ya know? Not the same.

fshkpr
Why would you? heck they eat other!!! I could eat fish eveyday infact I am having it tonight again!

ShaynaB
All this talk of sushI and fish makes me want some.

Alright, I'm having sushI for dinner tonight! No feeling guilty about it either.

Yum. My fish don't have to know I'm eating fish and what they don't know won't hurt them!

ER9
All this talk of sushI and fish makes me want some.

Alright, I'm having sushI for dinner tonight! No feeling guilty about it either.

Yum. My fish don't have to know I'm eating fish and what they don't know won't hurt them!

haha...i'm with ya...we are so spoiled in LA. some amazing sushI houses here, so many to choose from. I think there are more sushI houses here than there are starbucks....ok....well....maybe not that many but a lot

ShaynaB
Tell me about it ER9. People who don't live out here don't know what they're missing. The owner of my favorite place goes to a fish market every morning so his sushI is as fresh as it can get. No frozen and thawed fish for us!

I'm not quite sure what I would do if I didn't live here... haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bmxer901
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Replies
Views
Shadowcatprime
Replies