Did this kill my fish?

KribensisLover1

Member
Okay so I ordered this vase decor online. At the same time I added another filter to my tank and put new carbon in. Within three weeks I lost two Kribs to dropsy and the rest were very very sick and my Angel got HIH. I medicated the tank, removed the vase and carbon, and they all got better.
Just aquascaped yesterday and I need a taller piece in the back on the right. Do you think this vase could have actually leached anything into the water and gotten fish sick? Bc I won't add it back if there's any chance it can make my fish Ill. Edit: it has 4.6 stars out of 5 from 318 reviews. But one of them did say this. But that happens with all decor (those reviews). Still am very hesitant.
 

JettsPapa

Member
Given the information you provided, I'd toss it in the trash.
 

EllsAquarium

Member
Surely it couldn’t have been just an unfortunate coincidence.
 

Fisch

Member
Even if it is a coincidence, if you are willing to risk it, then go ahead. But common sense in this case says better be safe than sorry, it is not worth the life of your fish.
 

jake37

Member
I think you should run a control test. Find a fish you don't like and put it in a pail with the vase for a few days. If nothing happens then dump the pail and refill with fresh tank water and put the fish back in with the carbon.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
I would take it out if you haven’t already. I don’t like using plastic or fake decorations because they could leech things into the water
 

Dechi

Member
jake37 said:
I think you should run a control test. Find a fish you don't like and put it in a pail with the vase for a few days. If nothing happens then dump the pail and refill with fresh tank water and put the fish back in with the carbon.
You must be kidding, right ?
 

RomanNoodles96

Member
Dechi said:
You must be kidding, right ?
It's better than risking the whole population of fish. If op wants to do it, risking one fish instead of a whole tank is better, although I'd trash the decoration personally.
 

SixThreeOh

Member
If you like it, put it back. The vase didn't kill your fish. What are your water parameters?
 

JettsPapa

Member
SixThreeOh said:
If you like it, put it back. The vase didn't kill your fish. What are your water parameters?
I'm curious. What do you base that conclusion on?
 

SixThreeOh

Member
JettsPapa said:
I'm curious. What do you base that conclusion on?
Those decorations are made from non-toxic sources. People sand them down and keep them in aquariums without issue.

My takeaway from the post is adding another filter and adding new carbon. Adding a second filter is generally an attempt to fix water quality issues. Also, messing with filter media often causes spikes in ammonia/nitrites. Dropsy and HitH are both related to poor water quality.

What makes you consider the vase a culprit?
 
  • Thread Starter

KribensisLover1

Member
So I decided not to put it back in. Chances are it didn't kill the fish, but as many said, why risk it? If all people who replied above said 'no way that's silly to believe it killed the fish' I would have tried again but I am going to err on the side of caution.

The reason I added a filter: I had an AC 70 running and the sponge was so nasty I wanted to replace it. Didn't want to just throw a new sponge in so I took my extra filter (AC 30) with media I was keeping around (and used in a tank for my lab that then started leaking) and set that up so I could change the 70 out. Then my parameters improved so I figured the more filters the merrier, right!!
Side note:: Every time I tested my water my nitrates were 5 ppm, but it's been a bit since I have tested, and I think I should start again, because I have a ton of algae, and that comes from high nitrates right?!!
 

JettsPapa

Member
SixThreeOh said:
Those decorations are made from non-toxic sources. People sand them down and keep them in aquariums without issue.

My takeaway from the post is adding another filter and adding new carbon. Adding a second filter is generally an attempt to fix water quality issues. Also, messing with filter media often causes spikes in ammonia/nitrites. Dropsy and HitH are both related to poor water quality.

What makes you consider the vase a culprit?
I agree it's hard to pin down the cause since the vase was added at the same time as the extra filter, so you may be right. However, I've heard of too many situations where things were manufactured overseas with toxic ingredients to dismiss the possibility that it was the statue.
 
  • Thread Starter

KribensisLover1

Member
JettsPapa said:
I agree it's hard to pin down the cause since the vase was added at the same time as the extra filter, so you may be right. However, I've heard of too many situations where things were manufactured overseas with toxic ingredients to dismiss the possibility that it was the statue.

Also, just a side note. A lot of the ornaments I look at have comments about leaching and killing fish so I thought perhaps the one comment among many about the vase was a fluke. However the other ornament I have in the tank (a fake log) has no such reviews about fish dying and has lasted beautifully. I just went back and re checked all the things I've purchased or considered and their reviews and saw it's not across the board (that people think All the ornaments leach into the water).
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom