Did not know I would keep fish 3 weeks ago

Aleeks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello all!

A bit less than three weeks ago, a friend of my partner gave us her two comet goldfish before moving away.

They are three years old and lived a majority of their life in what I think cannot be more than fifteen litres of water.

When they were given to us, they were in an uncycled 24 liter tank. I’ve been stressing over the practically impossible task of cycling that tiny tank with the two of them in it.

Tomorrow I am buying a 90 litre tank. I know it is still too small but they are very stunted and it is all I can afford right now (price and space).

If they recover and grow, I will try and find someone with a goldfish pond for a rehome!

A1CAE4E1-3713-47A0-B6A7-D440F415633C.jpeg

PS- knew nothing about keeping fish before receiving these in my care. Been reading so mich and learning everyday!!

Wardonianfungus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s fine, goldfish stunting isn’t really a thing, as they can release hormones to stop themselves from growing. They get so big that they do this to be able to live in their environment.

The only thing I’d say is don’t feed them flakes, they might get swim bladder disease, feed them pellets and peas. Also make sure you have amazing filtration because they are messy fish.

HarrisonAquatics

Reaction score
I'd most definitely say that stunting IS a thing - as I understand it, the internal organs tend to keep growing while the external body stop growing. I'd imagine that to be an incredibly painful death.

Just do the best you can for the goldfish! A 90 liter is far better than a 20.

OP
Aleeks

Aleeks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes! Feeding them goldfish sinking pellets and peas on Thursdays. It has been stressful few weeks trying to understand them.... gulping at the surface at first sign of ammonia and even had one bleeding from her gills after the third day which was very scary. I feel more informed and confident now but really want to get them in something bigger asap.

I’m a bit torn regarding cycling the new tank. I think I will try to start the cycle for at least a week or so before transferring, as I don't know how much longer they can stay in that small unstable tank. I am using a bacteria starter at the moment to try and stabilise the tank as well as large daily water changes.

HarrisonAquatics

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd move over the filter media from the smaller tank. If you move over whatever is in the filter (the cartridge, or sponge) you're moving over all the bacteria, and that should kick-start the new tank.

Wardonianfungus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HarrisonAquatics said:
I'd most definitely say that stunting IS a thing - as I understand it, the internal organs tend to keep growing while the external body stop growing. I'd imagine that to be an incredibly painful death.

Just do the best you can for the goldfish! A 90 liter is far better than a 20.
Stunting definitely is a thing... on other fish. Goldfish rarely get stunted because, like I said, they release hormones into the water that prevents them from growing. The more gold fish in a crowded space, the more hormones. It’s still mean to cram goldfish into small tanks, but not as bad as putting a common Plecos into a ten gallon.

HarrisonAquatics

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread here, OP, so I'm sorry... but do you have any papers that back you up on this? Any scientific studies?

It seems kind of insane that goldfish have developed the ability to halt growth when other fish haven't. Seems like a rumor someone would start in order to sell more goldfish to people with tiny tanks, to me. Not trying to be rude, just genuinely interested.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HarrisonAquatics said:
Not trying to hijack the thread here, OP, so I'm sorry... but do you have any papers that back you up on this? Any scientific studies?

It seems kind of insane that goldfish have developed the ability to halt growth when other fish haven't. Seems like a rumor someone would start in order to sell more goldfish to people with tiny tanks, to me. Not trying to be rude, just genuinely interested.
Take it for what it is.

Stunted Goldfish Growth: How it Happens (and Is it Harmful?)

HarrisonAquatics

Reaction score
Fair enough, I'll have to do some more reading. Thanks for the link! Hoping to find some actual papers on it after some digging.

Wardonianfungus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
david1978 said:
Take it for what it is.

Stunted Goldfish Growth: How it Happens (and Is it Harmful?)
Thanks, David you just saved me 15 min of looking for that link amongst my threads and history.

New Threads