Did my temperature change kill my loaches?

1. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

hi guys, did my temperature change, kill 3 of my loaches? :(

I found out a few days ago that my heater is bad and my temperature was fluctuating between 74-82. I have clown loaches and they were subjected to this change and a couple didn't make it- but looked otherwise healthy. One was extremely fat looking, while the other looked normal. What happened to them? Was it my temperature?

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It could well have been that. Have you replaced the defective heater?

3. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

I get it today, so they will be subjected to it for a while longer. NOW- as of this morning-I am using a backup heater which is faulty... So its temperature gauge is keeping it above 77, but it is also all over the place between 77 and 84

My house temperature is 68 at night and then during the day is 75 usually, but gets to 77... Then during the day the lights heat the tank up to 82*. So it was alternating between those temperatures... But I dont think the tank ever got to 68, but only like 74-75

Normally they are only subjected to 78 during the day and then 80 by the time the lights shutoff and this is everyday that happens

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yeesh. Well, hopefully the heater arrives soon and things will settle down after this! If the deaths continue though definitely let us know:(

5. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

OK. Thank you