Did My Serpae Tetras Kill My Catfish?

New Fish in Town

I had an albino cory die not too long ago, so I bought a new one and it was really small. Now today I came home and I couldn't find it in the tank, but found 2 of my Serpae tetras dead. All of my other fish are just fine and so are the water parameters. The dead tetras didn't look fat, or puffy. Could a Serpae tetra shred a cory to the point that there wouldn't even be any fins, or bones left? It's kind of strange. They've been living with cories for about 3 years now.

Al913

Wouldn't you be more concern for the tetras since 2 died? Did you mis-type since you said 2 tetras died and then said the tetras shred the cory but the tetras are dead?

Otherwise no, serpae tetras wouldn't have shredded the cory! The cory could have died but the serpae were just picking on it since fish are omnivore and scavengers

New Fish in Town

I'm just curious if a school of Serpae tetras could dispose of a cory to the point that there would be nothing left and could that cause them to choke to death?

Themaniac19

It depends on how long it was in the tank dead. I lost a marine fish and it was half eaten (literally, the head was gone) in two days. All I had at the time was one blue leg Hermit crab.

plecostomuch

Eyes are always the first to get eaten.

Al913

What is the exact stocking of the tank? So to make things clear, 2 serpae tetras and a cory died?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
milkyfish93
Replies
Views
Lollipop0912
Replies
Views
Shael
Replies
Views