Did my Pleco attack my Betta?

1. Golobulus Initiate Member

Hi guys
    I had a awful experience yesterday. I went to feed my fish and was about 2 hrs late feeding them and found my betta severely mauled in my tank. I have a couple theories of who could have done it but my prime suspect is my Pleco. The pleco seems to me as the only fish big enough to do this much damage to the betta.

The tank is a 30 gal with 1 betta 4 ghost catfish 9 tetra's 3 zebra danios 1dwarf frog 3 clown loachs 1 dojo loach 1 pleco and 3 cory catfish.

The betta has been in the tank for about 3-4 months.
    Everything has been good for the most part. I had a overly aggressive dwarf frog that would go after the bettas tail and I gave him away. The other dwarf frog has nothing to do with the betta. 1 of the larger clown loachs chases the betta away during feeding time but I try to keep them apart during feeding.
    My pleco is starting to out grow the tank. There is actually a fish shop that will take plecos in for trade and have been thinking about doing that and getting a smaller one. The pleco comes out and eats brine shrimp with everyone else so he eats meat and algea. I noticed he would rather eat shrimp rather than algae wafers.
    As for the rest of the fish they rarely have any interaction with the betta,no fin nipping no nothing. The betta normally hangs out towards the top and most of the others hang out at the bottom.

I tried adding some images to show you guys the pleco and the betta hopefully it works.
    Plz let me know what you guys think did the damage.

On a good note the betta is doing a lot better today and has ate some food. Hopefully he makes it IMG_20140721_230932_272.jpg IMG_20140721_230953_911.jpg IMG_20140721_231508_343.jpg

2. mg13 Well Known Member Member

that's terrible!!

Bettas are supposed to be alone, but I'm sure you knew that... :/

I think that your tank may be over stocked too... :/

Just try to keep Bettas alone for now, they may be pretty, but they REALLY do NEED to be alone..

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

mg is right, bettas are best as solitary fish.

What kind of pleco do you have? What kind of tetras? My guess would be the tetras as the abusers, because they are traditionally a terrible match for tankmates with bettas. Too nippy and mean, and they hunt in packs lol.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's hard to say who attacked the betta, the tetras can be nippy as can the danios, or it could've been the frog.
    You're very overstocked, the clown loaches, plec & dojo all need a much bigger tank & the Betta should be kept on his own.

5. Golobulus Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply guys. The tetras are neon tetras and the pleco is a common pleco. When I was typing in what I had in the tank I was thinking I was over stocked. However most of the stuff in there is on the smaller side of their species. The pleco was part of the first batch of fish I bought for the tank and at the time was just a little guy. Hes too large now. Regardless if he attacked him or not I think im going to trade him in for a small bristlenose.

The thing that I dont get is 3 hours before he was fine. And then 3 hours later he literally almost has no fins. It just seems like to me if it was the neon tetras they would all have to flip a switch going from not messing with him at all to wanting to rip his face off. Same with the danios which there are less of. The betta was a full grown male betta with a large tail now he almost has nothing. The dwarf frog I could see potentially doing it. But after seeing the other dwarf frog attack the betta I cant imagine him doing this much damage.

In the end I guess it really doesnt matter who did it. It happened. I am trading the pleco in anyways because hes to big. I am also looking at upgrading to a 50 gal. As for the betta I am going to set up his 3 gal. tank and let him live his days in my office.

Any tips on how to facilitate a disease free and speedy recovery for the betta would be appreciated.

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I totally missed the part about the danios. Danios are VERY bad tankmates for bettas. It was them that attacked him, without a doubt. First off, they need a school. The bigger the school, the less aggression you'll see. They'll still be nippy little brats, though xD. 5 or more is a good start for a danio school.

So for starters, get that pleco out of the tank asap. I would rehome the loaches too, as they will outgrow your 50 gallon. Fix your danio school up and you'll be set xD

As for your betta, the best medicine for a betta is clean water. That aside, you can do salt baths if you feel he's getting ickies on his fins, which may or may not happen depending on how clean you keep the water. You can add IAL or IAL extract to the tank to prevent infections as well.