Did My Pea Puffer Die To Parasites? Or Bad Care.

conner Day

Reaction score
hi guys i have a photo my dp died today during my work hrs came home and the guy was dead in the plants still got one more in the tank, prob going to get another buddy for him tomorrow if this was not parasites what could of it been? im talking about the big yellow bubble on his side/belly in the photo. i knew this was coming he was acting weird and did not eat a thing for 5 days while the other was active and after a day in the tank was eating. thanks for info/ help if this was not ip what could of caused death all lvls are good in tank i do water changes every 4 days and feed one thawed cube of blood worms every 2 days and a few nuisance snails as a treat once a week ( i have a jar farm for them )

Attachments

conner Day

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
How are you measuring that low of ammonia and nitrites?

The tank wasn't cycled (just running the tank won't cycle it), and the poor water quality could have killed him.
but even when i bought him there was that bump on his side and how is this bad water quality what is bad about it? (new to aquariums)

i used the api test kit and it said nitrite was 0,05 and ammonia was like 0.03

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The API liquid test kit doesn't go down that low for nitrites or ammonia.

Nitrites and ammonia are both bad and very toxic to fish, especially sensitive fish like puffers.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Was the api kit reading 3 for ammonia and 5 for nitrites? Ie are u converting those numbers to percentage points? (Eg 3% = 0.03, and 5% = 0.05).
The test kit is be giving results in ppm, short for parts per million (assuming u have what we all think u have). It’s the standard measurement for those and other parameters (except pH and temp).
I could see how u might assume ppm is short for percents. But it’s not.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your water quality may not be that poor, but having only ran the tank for two weeks, and the readings you’ve provided, it wasn’t cycled. Some species can handle a fish in cycle, but pea puffers are extremely sensitive to water parameters and it’s recommended to have a tank established for around 6 months (In my opinion, others disagree but I’ve never seen anything go wrong in a well established planted tank for pea puffers).

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry you lost him, hope our members can come up with some possible causes today

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom