Did My Netrites Snail Die? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by CosmicDodo42, Apr 14, 2018.

1. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

I recently got a ten gallon aqaurium, and put a Zebra netrite snail(a little smaller, and is named Fred), and a Tiger netrite snail(who is named Cari). They are the first “fish” to go into my tank, and my levels were all at zero this morning, and after adding them and keeping them in there for about two hours, the ammonia rose a bit, and fell back to zero. I used Tetra safestart to help jumpstart the cycle. Everything was fine and dandy, the snails were moving, so I decided it might be smart to throw in a algae wafer. I waited until about three hours and came back to see that my snails hadn’t touched it. They hadn’t moved a ton either. Fred is now near the top, and has ceased moving. Cari is under a few rocks and stopped moving too. The aquarium has sort of a rancid smell, and the wafer hasn’t been touched, I was only able to get rid of half of it after fishing that half out. I just got them today, and I don’t want to them to already be dead!

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Nerites aren't the most active of snails IMO. When there's loads of algae they will be moving around and eating but half the time they will be resting, often near and even above the water line. I thought my nerite was doomed because it had not moved in a week but it's suddenly turned around and is eating and pooing like no tomorrow.

As for your nerites, give them time. I'd remove all the wafer with a gravel vacuum and replace whatever water was removed in doing so.

Side note: not all nerites will eat prepared foods, which is why it is advised to add them to well established tanks (meaning there's algae and biofilm present).

3. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

Okay, I was really starting to get worried for them, as they were the first critters I add to the tank, and I wanted to make sure nothing was going wrong!

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Nerites like a few others have a "trap door", which sometimes they close to digest, or rest. And if and when you do witness them sometimes floating to the surface is NOT because they're deceased, it's because sometimes air gets trapped within their shell, thus floating them to top top of the water column. Especially with the smaller ones. And in addition, some snails will "shut the door" and remain inactive for 2 days or more. I actually just bought 4 average sized nerites for one of my planted tanks, and 2 were in fact dead, and the other 2 are still just laying on the substrate not moving at all, and it's been 3 days thus far. And also, FYI, NEVER allow a "hibernating" nerite to remain upside down, because it's nearly impossible for them to right themselves correctly in order to move. If you leave them upside down, that CAN die...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice