Did My Lfs Lie To Me? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Sokonomi, Apr 21, 2019.

1. SokonomiValued MemberMember

I have a 20 gallon CO2 injected tank, so I went to buy some plants from the local fish shop, as one normally would.
    I asked them for a plant that would do well, planted into a knothole in some spiderwood.
    My only wish, no anubia or javafern, since I already had plenty of that in the tank.
    So they offered me a little cryptocoryne and told me it would work.
    Surprised since Ive never seen those on wood before, I took it home assuming they knew what they were talking about.
    I've got it sitting in the knotholes for a few days now, but it doesn't really seem to catch on,
    so I decided to look it up, and just as I suspected, putting crypts on wood isn't normally done.

So did my local shop just con me to sell me something, or can this little plant indeed survive on wood?
    Should I salvage it while its still alive and buy something else, or let it sit to see what happens?
    Its just 4 euros, but still, I cant help but feel a little gypped..

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM
  2. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ive seen Tropica sell them like that too. I’ve never grown it like that, but you probably can grow it like that. Since youve only had it for a few days, then it’s probably just melting.

3. SokonomiValued MemberMember

These were being sold presubmerged, so I think they are already past melting.

4. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Any pictures?

5. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Its proving rather difficult to get a good picture of it, but here you go;

Its two spiderwood knots that have a hole in it, and I wanted to stick some green into those.
    They currently look nice, but not sure how long this will last..

I am feeding it 'daily Ei method' fertilizers, so the water should be pretty saturated with NPK,
    but I don't know if they will be able to partake in that, with their roots dangling free.

6. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

Is this cryptocoryne in the pictures here if so they should die when they reach 20 inches maximum

7. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

It should be fine tbh. I have some crypts that are floating and still growing new leaves. BTW, those leaves still look emersed to me. You might have purchased them while the LFS had them in the tank, but crypts can take a few months to fully transition, so you might get some melting.

?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
  8. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

It should go when it reaches 20 inches

10-14 days until the crypt should melt

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
  9. SokonomiValued MemberMember

I'm not sure what you're on about, friend. :shy:
    Plants don't just suddenly die when they reach a certain length.

I was wondering why I was having such a difficult time identifying this crypto, you might be right.
    Isn't it supposed to be a little darker colored with scraggly edges?
    Its a hearty plant, and there's fertilizer abound, so I might just pull this freakshow off.
    But I kinda doubt this is the kind of thing a shop should be recommending. :shifty:

10. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

cryptocoryne has a melting point 10-12 days after like i said before, 20 inches is the max that they can grow

11. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Looks like regular crypt wendtii green to me. The leaf color can go from green to brownish with wavy edges yes.

No doubt it’s ugly, but some people like it. I mean, you bought it

12. SokonomiValued MemberMember

I mean.. it's not mothers favorite, but I've seen uglier plants.
    I just wanted a plant that would do well sitting in a wood knot hole,
    and this is what they had.

If anyone has some low light CO2 wood environment plant suggestions, then by all means.

13. toosieFishlore VIPMember

How about windelov? It's still a type of java fern, but with a difference. ;)

14. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

how about a buce i believe they can be grown attached to driftwood and such

15. anirocWell Known MemberMember

How about Bolbitis heudelotii (not heteroclita...that looks like Java).
    I was at Big Als yesterday. I saw it for sale, first time for me.
    The crypt in your picture has white roots. That plant was uprooted, it was not grown attached to anything and I don't think that crypts will survive if not planted.

16. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Crypts are heavy root feeders with extensive root systems. I’d doubt it will flourish on wood. All mine are either in dirted tanks or have root tabs and they do all too well. The ones I’ve pulled and let float around grow small, scraggly leaves and eventually die off over time.

As for them not growing over 20in, I’m sure there are some varieties that do grow taller in specific conditions. Pretty sure some of mine would reach a good 15+in (I should measure them someday) and they were supposed to stay within the height of the average 10gal. Crypts are certainly not the type of plant that just dies off when it reaches a certain size. They simply grow more and spread runners like crazy, I’ve had to purposely “reboot” an entire tank to stunt the growth so I can see my fish!

17. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Windelov, is this really a member of the fern family?
    It looks so bushy, and seems to fluff out near the roots pretty well.
    That one would definitely look cool crowning on top of a tall piece of spiderwood,
    though it seems to grow on a horizontal stem (like the java!).
    Would it take if I looped some string around it and then threaded it through the knot hole?

Bucephalandra was already on my radar, but they do stay kinda small dont they?
    I was hoping the rootknot plants would kinda canopy a little, but a buce stays about 2 inches I think?
    The reason I had my eye on it, is if you show it a little love, it ll bloom a  .

The Bolbitis Heudelottii is a cool background plant,
    but I think it will outgrow its spot high up in the tank pretty quick since it can get up to a foot.
    Its also a little demanding on light, which I don't think my budget can provide. :')

18. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Yes she's a sweet little plant. She does grow along a rhizome and she makes sweet little babies that you can fasten separately once they get big enough. And yep just tie her on and she'll take. I like to use a little fishing line because its invisible but you have to be careful not to cut it with it. But yes, she is a "fancy" java fern, but don't hold that against her. :)

19. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

Yes, Windelov is good