Did my ich meds kill off (or still killing) my BB?

Chris1212

Successfully treated an ich outbreak in my fairly new tank with Nox Ich (sodium chloride and malachite green). I had removed my carbon filter cartridge since it would remove the meds and replaced with sponges and matrix. The residual meds dyed the sponges and matrix blue but my question is: did the box ich kill any BB I had and will the residual meds/blue dye on the filter media prevent any BB from establishing? I'm finally at my first zero ammonia reading (had been consistently .25).

20g, 2 Platy, 1 swordtail, running for 3 weeks now. Fish are seemingly healthy.

Latest test results (API liquid test):
Ammonia: zero (or very close to it) - looks yellow to me
Nitrites: zero (has been consistently 0)
Nitrates: 5-10 (has been consistently this range)
ph: 7.8ish
temp: 77.5-79 depending on room temp

feeshi

It should say on the bottle whether it kills the bacteria.
In my experience, malachite green only kills the bacteria in higher doses, higher than the prescribed dose of most medications. Even then it will only kill 'some' bacteria.
So you may get a slight spike in ammonia after use, easily covered by dosing seachem prime for a few days until the bacteria grows back.
Secondly no, all that's left is the 'dye' component of malachite green. It actually breaks down in non-organic substances very quickly, which is why it's 'dose every 24hrs'.
Despite sponges being left blue, bacteria will just grow within it/ontop of it as the only compound left cannot harm it.
A lot of my sponges are blue and have been running well over a year. :)

Chris1212

Great to know, thanks

GlennO

"Malachite Green does NOT have the gram positive bacteriostatic properties Methylene Blue has and thus is not hard on nitrifying bacteria, despite some claims to the contrary which is of worth while note when treating an established aquarium with Malachite Green".

Vivo

It’s possible when u removed your carbon filter which I know is necessary, that your tank had a mini crash. That’s one reason some folks don’t like carbon filters. You end up having to throw away BB instead of a media u can rinse and reuse keeping BB.

Noroomforshoe

If your carbon is older then one month, its not active any more, you dont need to remove it, but you need fresh active carbon to remove the medicine after treating. well, you need to remove some meds. it should tell you on the bottle if that step is required.

Just keep testing to be sure that your cycle is ok, next time remove active carbon, but not used filter cartridge material. or keep extra bia media in the filter. bio balls or rings, or cheep chemical free sponges all hold BB. I have been using that craft foamy kids stuff as extra Bio material.

AvalancheDave

GlennO said:
"Malachite Green does NOT have the gram positive bacteriostatic properties Methylene Blue has and thus is not hard on nitrifying bacteria, despite some claims to the contrary which is of worth while note when treating an established aquarium with Malachite Green".
Most, if not all, nitrifying bacteria are Gram negative.

The American Aquarium Products website isn't a reliable source of accurate information. It's not any worse than other sites. There just aren't any that are highly accurate.

Chris1212

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't understand the gram positive negative item.

I likely did crash my cycle a bit since I tossed my carbon cartridge. It was only a week or so old but I'm sure it had a good BB start. I should have just cut out the carbon but lesson learned. I haven't put any new carbon filter in and instead are going with two aquaclear sponges and a bag of seachem matrix.

Top Bottom