Did My "cichlid Specialty Store" Do Me Wrong?

mgarza

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this, so I went to a fish store to help me stock my 60 gallon tank. The owners of the store helped pick all the cichlids for me and assured me they would be great together, but after doing my own research, I'm thinking I'm sitting on a timebomb. Heres what I have, keeping in mind all these fish are juveniles, about 4 inches big, right now. I have 2 Texas electric blues, 2 blood parrot fish, 1 dragon blood, 1 deep water hap( appears to be tank boss), 1 yellow lab,1 albino rainbow shark, 2 frontos, 2 paratalopia bleekeri, 2 red jeweled, 1 green scat, and 1 monofish. I'm not having agression issues right now, but the more I read, the more I'm thinking I'm gonna need another large tank or two. Any advice on what I'm going to need to do in the near future?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah you have a problem. You have South Americans mixed with Africans. Both require different parameters. Africans require higher pH than American Cichilds.

You should a group, Africans or American Cichilds. Return the ones back and go from there. Knowing your pH will help determine what you want, or at least make your decision easier.

mgarza

Reaction score
Fashooga said:
Yeah you have a problem. You have South Americans mixed with Africans. Both require different parameters. Africans require higher pH than American Cichilds.

You should a group, Africans or American Cichilds. Return the ones back and go from there. Knowing your pH will help determine what you want, or at least make your decision easier.
My p.h. is 8.0. and my water is very hard.

mgarza

Reaction score
My p.h. is 8.0 and my water is very hard.. I've had my blood parrot s for about 5 months and the rest if the group for about a month. I really like all of my fish so will getting another large tank and splitting them up work or is it gonna be more complex then that?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I defiantly would start looking for another tank to seperate things some. If they are small its not a need to do now thing but i wouldn't wait a year.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Unfortunately it does look like they did you wrong. Big time. The Texas cichlids can push 10" and the Bleekeri can hit a solid foot. Not to mention they all have different personalities.

Personally, I would figure out which direction you want to go with the cichlids (South American, Central American, African Rift Lakes, or African Riverine) and rehome accordingly.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
pH isn't as much of a concern as many people make it out to be. In the more common hardy fish they are often raised in pH and are very adaptable when it comes to it. The only time I would worry about pH levels is if you have extreme ones, or have a delicate/wildcaught fish.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree, the issue is more behavioral and aggression than pH related.

I'd go ahead and rehome the mono and the scat. They need brackish water.

Getting another tank and splitting them up still won't work due to aggression issues. You would need multiple tanks to house these fish.

Which species is the one you really want to keep?

mgarza

Reaction score
I really like my blood parrot, the albino rainbow shark, the frontosas, and the electric blues the most. I don't mind setting up another tank or two.

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can keep blood parrots , one Texas and Red Jewels(even if they are African they can be kept and they know how to defend themselves). Can your blood parrot close mouth? Or is it the deformed mouth one? If it is the goofy mouth one may be you can only keep the Red Jewels with it. It will manage by because of its size. I have all three fish spread across 6tanks.(and I have a total 10tanks, so I can manage aggressions, pairing etc) with 2 tanks and only Central American/ South American you can manage nicely too. But Africans have to go IMHO. You can keep your rainbow shark with blood parrot.

mgarza

Reaction score
My parrots are the goofy, deformed mouth type. I've never seen anybody have an issue with them, but I just noticed a small laceration on one the their mouths. This is new and upsetting. So you've seen my list of fish, how would you house all of them? How many tanks and whom would you put with whom?

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can’t comment on Africans. But you can keep 2red Jewels , and 2 BPC in that 60G if you are looking long term.

Rainbow shark can stay with Texas as long as it’s growing similar rate. Both Texas and rainbow shark can reach a foot or Long. And that will need a 75G tank for those 3. And may be you can keep a pleco like L022 too.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The BPs and the shark should be fine together, but I wouldn't keep the jewels, electric blues, or fronts with them though - all are too aggressive for the BP. It may seem fine now, but it likely wouldn't work out in the future.

After rehoming the mono and the scat, I'd also rehome most of your rift lake cichlids unless you wanted to devote a tank to just them (and don't mix some kinds, like mbuna and peacocks). I'd also rehome the jewels unless you want a tank devoted to them - they are very aggressive.

So the 60 gal:
2x BPs
1x Rainbow shark (it will not reach a foot long - usually they're around 6")
You'd then have room for some dither fish
(I really wouldn't keep the jewels with them - jewels can kill larger cichlids, and the BPs can't defend themselves)

75 gal:
2x Texas electric blues
You might have room for some robust, larger dithers and/or bottom feeders

75+ gal:
2x Fronts
(and I would add more female fronts to this tank - remember, you want to overstock a bit, but I would only keep one male)

Rehoming:
Dragon blood
Hap
Yellow lab
Paratilapia
Jewels

It likely seems fine right now, but they are small juveniles. The peace will not last, especially as they sexually mature. The tank is too small for many of your species, even if kept alone. So if you get more tanks, get at least a 75 gal for the larger fish.

mgarza

Reaction score
Thank you for all that. It's exactly what I needed to know. My b.p has a bite mark out if his lip that has happened within the last 24 hours, I'm thinking the red jeweled did it because they were head to head yesterday in a standoff.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since you're in Houston, try the Greater Houston Aquarium Club Marketplace page when it comes to rehoming your cichlids - you should have no trouble at finding homes for them. Many people on that page keep rift lake cichlids, so they should go to good homes. Some LFS should also take them for store credit - I know Fish Gallery will, and some others might as well.

mgarza

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Since you're in Houston, try the Greater Houston Aquarium Club Marketplace page when it comes to rehoming your cichlids - you should have no trouble at finding homes for them. Many people on that page keep rift lake cichlids, so they should go to good homes. Some LFS should also take them for store credit - I know Fish Gallery will, and some others might as well.
I just put my jeweled fish in a 20 gallon for temporary until I can get a bigger tank. I'm thinking they were starting to pick on my electric blues and blood parrots. I'll have to go to Fish Gallery and check them out. Fish r us in Conroe is where I got all these fish. Thank you so much for all your info. I see a good outcome for the the fish I feel responsible for.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Happy to help!

For the fish stores in Houston, my favorite is ADG. It's one of the farthest from me (Fish R Us is closer to me, but I don't know if I've ever been there), but it is so worth the drive. The employees are very knowledgeable too. So if you haven't been, you should go check it out!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom