Did My Betta Just Release Eggs For No Reason?

1. Megd143

Megd143 New Member Member

So I found these small white things on the black sand in my aquarium. She hasn't wanted to eat and is trying to bring them to the surface in her mouth every now and then. She has always looked a bit chunky, but I thought I was just feeding her well. Are they actually eggs? Is there any reason she did this? Should I be worried? Do I need to get them out of the tank?

Attached Files:

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Those look like eggs. I have never seen this in my 12 years of breeding bettas. I guessing she might of been egg bound and dropped them for that reason or something else. I would get them out of the aquarium since they are infertile and will end up rotting.

3. OP
    OP
    Megd143

Megd143 New Member Member

I thought it was very strange! And, she is a young betta, I got her when she was a baby from Petco a little over a month ago. And, there is so many! I will get them out, she is so pitiful trying to take care of them. She didn't build a bubble nest or anything but she has been taking them up to the surface.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

That's so strange, I've never heard of that happening. It's even stranger that she's treating them like there's a male. It's the males that build the bubble nests, and are needed for fertilization, and then both of them bring the eggs up to the nest. Aw, it's so sad though, she's trying her best. Well, if nothing else, you have a very unique betta.