Did I Un-cycle My Tank?

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
image.jpg
I had horrible parameters so I did a 30% change two days in a row. 3rd day I changed substrate and 60%. Didn’t touch my filter tho I did rinse it in old tank water 1-2 weeks ago and added some bio rings and a sponge a few days ago to help my bacteria grow and replaced the old cartridge. I tested it that day and it read 7.0 ph 3 ppm ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate. Next day ph crashed again to 6 ammonia went up to 4 ppm, and nitrates and nitrites stayed the same. Now I added 2 tsp of baking soda per 5 gal to raise ph per pet store and forum suggestions and it shot up to like 7.6 instantly they also recommended prime for ammonia and bacteria to add to filter( filter now over flowing but don’t want to rinse for fear of bac loss.) , Ive done all. Today my tests read 7.6 or up ph 8 ppm ammonia 0 nitrite 15 nitrate. And it’s cloudy as seen(looks worse in person). What did I do and what do I do?
 

Donthemon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
750
Location
Sacramento, CA
Experience
4 years
Start by water changes, big ones 75 %. Then add more bacteria and don’t touch filter for a couple weeks . What fish are in it? What test kit are you using?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Jed

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
Donthemon said:
Start by water changes, big ones 75 %. Then add more bacteria and don’t touch filter for a couple weeks . What fish are in it? What test kit are you using?
I have two Dalmatian mollies and two KuhlI loaches. And apI master kit. Not to question you but are you sure? The lady at the aquarium said to avoid them for awhile?
 

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Member
Messages
850
Reaction score
438
Location
North Carolina
Experience
1 year
Ummm I’d advise against baking powder. I prefer crushed coral to buffer ph. Ph is going to swing around wildly while cycling as acid is a by product of nitrogen oxidizing. Really I’d say start with a ~75% wc and reduce feeding to once every 3-4 days and do ~50% wc after feedings. While of course doing about 50% every other day or so to keep the ammonia under 1ppm. I myself have used TSS bottled bacteria as for if it works or not the jury is still out. If it’s in your budget worst case scenario your out the 10-15 bucks.

Tank looks awesome and welcome to forum
 

fjh

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,281
Reaction score
1,109
Location
Southern California
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Do you have ammonia in your tap water?

Well this is what I think might have happened: when your ph dropped to 6, your BB couldn't process the ammonia, causing your initial ammonia spike and killing off some of your BB. After you raised your ph again, the BB could process more ammonia, but a lot had already died, sending your tank into a minI cycle. Prime would have detoxified your ammonia for a bit, but at 8ppm ammonia, more of the BB will be dying. Since your filter BB isn't correctly processing the ammonia, you now have BB living in your water column and causing the cloudiness.

I would recommend doing a huge WC (80% or more... basically leaving just enough for your fish to swim) to lower your ammonia. Keep doing daily 50% WCs (or as often/large as needed to keep ammonia below 1ppm). Basically you will be going a fish-in cycle. Dose prime daily and with each WC to de-toxify the ammonia. I would not fiddle with the ph at all while you are cycling unless it gets below 6.0. You could add cuddlebone or crushed coral to buffer it a bit, but that's all.
 

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Member
Messages
850
Reaction score
438
Location
North Carolina
Experience
1 year
To address the first question changing substrate and changing filter media at the same time is something you want to avoid in the future. When you add new media make sure it is in there a couple weeks before discarding any old media.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Jed

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Do you have ammonia in your tap water?

Well this is what I think might have happened: when your ph dropped to 6, your BB couldn't process the ammonia, causing your initial ammonia spike and killing off some of your BB. After you raised your ph again, the BB could process more ammonia, but a lot had already died, sending your tank into a minI cycle. Prime would have detoxified your ammonia for a bit, but at 8ppm ammonia, more of the BB will be dying. Since your filter BB isn't correctly processing the ammonia, you now have BB living in your water column and causing the cloudiness.

I would recommend doing a huge WC (80% or more... basically leaving just enough for your fish to swim) to lower your ammonia. Keep doing daily 50% WCs (or as often/large as needed to keep ammonia below 1ppm). Basically you will be going a fish-in cycle. Dose prime daily and with each WC to de-toxify the ammonia. I would not fiddle with the ph at all while you are cycling unless it gets below 6.0. You could add cuddlebone or crushed coral to buffer it a bit, but that's all.
That’s the conclusion my original forum came up with which is why I started the changes in hopes to raise ph. I will do the large water change and follow up daily. . I have two doses of the apI quick start bacteria left so I’ll add them later on in the week after a few changes. My tap has like .5 ppm or something like that and a ph of 7. My ph continues to drop below 6 that’s why this all started I believe. Will this cause my ph to drop again? I have no access to crushed coral atm, and if it does won’t I be back where I started with no bacteria?

SaltyPhone said:
To address the first question changing substrate and changing filter media at the same time is something you want to avoid in the future. When you add new media make sure it is in there a couple weeks before discarding any old media.
I left the old media in there it was the old Petsmart carbon cartridge, it still is.
 

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Member
Messages
850
Reaction score
438
Location
North Carolina
Experience
1 year
With ammonia that high ph is definitely going to drop as stated due to the bacteria oxidizing nitrogen. Crushed coral is fairly inexpensive and you can find it online. You can place scatter it in the substrate and it will slowly but surely dissolve and bring the ph back up. Just stay away from the products like ph up neutral down etc.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Jed

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
SaltyPhone said:
With ammonia that high ph is definitely going to drop as stated due to the bacteria oxidizing nitrogen. Crushed coral is fairly inexpensive and you can find it online. You can place scatter it in the substrate and it will slowly but surely dissolve and bring the ph back up. Just stay away from the products like ph up neutral down etc.
I’ll definitely look online, should my tap be ok for the changes if I add prime?
 

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Member
Messages
850
Reaction score
438
Location
North Carolina
Experience
1 year
Yea it’s just going to be more frequent water changes then most of us do having a trace amount of ammonia in your tap. Again keep up the large water changes keep the feedings at once or twice a week and always water change shortly after feedings till the ammonia stays at a safe level
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Jed

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
Ok will do. About the coral. Will I have to continually add more as it dissolves away? Sorry for all the questions I just don’t plan on this being my only tank so I wanna get this stuff down packed haha.
 

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Member
Messages
850
Reaction score
438
Location
North Carolina
Experience
1 year
In the substrate it’ll last close to a year. If you throw it in a media bag in your filter; a couple months
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,982
Reaction score
3,858
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Jed said:
I left the old media in there it was the old Petsmart carbon cartridge, it still is.
Petsmart has crushed coral. You can put 1 cup, in a fine mesh bag, per 30 gallons tank water in your filter overflow (you probably don't want it 'uglying' up that nice aquascape).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Jed

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
Momgoose56 said:
Petsmart has crushed coral. You can put 1 cup, in a fine mesh bag, per 30 gallons tank water in your filter overflow (you probably don't want it 'uglying' up that nice aquascape).
I will probably try to stick it just under the surface because my filters too full of media rn. I appreciate the complements of the scape btw, probably watched ten plus hours of the green machine hahaha, still not happy with it yet tho, I want carpet plants
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,982
Reaction score
3,858
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Jed said:
I will probably try to stick it just under the surface because my filters too full of media rn. I appreciate the complements of the scape btw, probably watched ten plus hours of the green machine hahaha, still not happy with it yet tho, I want carpet plants
If you're putting it in the tank rather than in the filter you'll need about 1 pound per 10 gallons of tank water. Not as much water flow in the tank so you need more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
Jed

Jed

Active Member
Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
9
Location
Ormond Beach FL
Experience
2 years
Momgoose56 said:
If you're putting it in the tank rather than in the filter you'll need about 1 pound per 10 gallons of tank water. Not as much water flow in the tank so you need more.
Ahh, I see, once my bacteria populates new media I’ll remove old media and add some coral.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
110
Guests online
1,800
Total visitors
1,910

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom