Did I Shock My (old?) Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Bry, Apr 7, 2019.

1. BryWell Known MemberMember

I've had Specs since around August/September and a Walmart Betta. He was always super active and would greet me when I got home.
    For the past week he's been sitting/resting/sleeping a lot. So I thought he was bored of his tank.
    Last night I scooped him out into a cup. Then did a water change (33% ish) reorganized his decor and added a new decoration.
    As I was about to re add him back to the tank, I noticed one of his eyes is a little blue. And he'd always turn so that I could only see his good eye. It was then it dawned on me he could just be old! I acclimated him then put him in his refreshed home.
    Everything I've found on the lighter eye doesn't fit, so I'm thinking he's blind in that eye. But ever since, he's hiding in the smallest crevices. This morning he was doing a headstand on a rock in his tank.
    He was fine before the water change.... I'm worried I accidentally shocked my elder betta... I usually don't take him out of the tank for water changes...

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

If he was young in August when you bought him from Walmart, he's not old now. Bettas live for 3-4 years perhaps more in good conditions. Can you post a picture of him from a couple of angles and a closeup of his eye?

3. BryWell Known MemberMember

He was adult size when I bought him. I can get pretty good pictures of him but it'll be hard to get some of his "bad" side.

4. BryWell Known MemberMember

My phone would not focus on him, but this is Specs.

5. K8linNew MemberMember

he might have popeye and not be feeling well, mine had it when i first got him from the store but frequent water changes helped it go away.

6. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

He looks fine in the video as far as movement goes. He looks young. And it's really hard to see any difference between his eyes (they're both dark). Is the right one (his right) protruding slightly more than the left? And can you describe the "blue" you mean ie. Pale blue, cloudy, whole eye, a patch of blue on iris etc.?

7. BryWell Known MemberMember

He was waayyy more active once I put him in the cup. Even now he's sitting on a rock.
    Yea, I noticed the eyes were hard to see. I don't think either is protruding but his left eye has like a blue spot right were the eye is. It doesn't look like a film or a fungus. It's just blue, and it wasn't when I got him. Yesterday it was a lighter blue.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. BryWell Known MemberMember

Update: Maybe he was throwing a tantrum? He seems back to normal and swimming around more. Though he still rests more than he used to. But! Specs is back to chasing the Nerites around and playing with the plant and filter output stream.