Did I setup my temporary QT properly?

devsi

My newest fish (EBA) are due on Tuesday, so I’ve setup my temporary 60L QT. Below are the exact steps I took:

• Fill QT with water from tap
  • Turn heater on for 24 hours
  • Add Seachem Prime
  • Take established Sponge Filter (running for 2 months) from main tank and transfer to QT
just to make sure it was definitely suitable (first time doing the temporary QT, as opposed to leaving it running 24/7), I dosed Ammonia.

That was 2 hours ago and I just tested; Ammonia is at 2ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm.

Should I be at all concerned that nothing has been processed, like this isn’t going to work on time for Tuesday, or does it simply not work that quickly and I should just wait for 24 hours after dosing as is the usual advice when cycling a tank from scratch?

No big deal either way, as they can go in my main tank if it doesn’t work, I’m just curious if I did something wrong and/or I’m not giving it the time it needs.

bettasXD

My newest fish (EBA) are due on Tuesday, so I’ve setup my temporary 60L QT. Below are the exact steps I took:

• Fill QT with water from tap
  • Turn heater on for 24 hours
  • Add Seachem Prime
  • Take established Sponge Filter (running for 2 months) from main tank and transfer to QT
just to make sure it was definitely suitable (first time doing the temporary QT, as opposed to leaving it running 24/7), I dosed Ammonia.

That was 2 hours ago and I just tested; Ammonia is at 2ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm.

Should I be at all concerned that nothing has been processed, like this isn’t going to work on time for Tuesday, or does it simply not work that quickly and I should just wait for 24 hours after dosing as is the usual advice when cycling a tank from scratch?

No big deal either way, as they can go in my main tank if it doesn’t work, I’m just curious if I did something wrong and/or I’m not giving it the time it needs.
I think you should wait longer. Not very sure tho.

Lucy

Hi
Good for you for setting up and pre-cycling your QT. tank

Give it 24 hrs. Test tomorrow. :)
You can test later tonight if curiosity gets the best of you. Haha but if you're showing an ammonia reading, don't worry and test again tomorrow.

devsi

Hi
Good for you for setting up and pre-cycling your QT. tank

Give it 24 hrs. Test tomorrow. :)
You can test later tonight if curiosity gets the best of you. Haha but if you're showing an ammonia reading, don't worry and test again tomorrow.

Haha yeah patience isn’t my strong suit; I ordered the fish on Friday and I’m already bored of waiting!

Will test tomorrow :) just didn’t want to put anything in the QT unless the sponge filter is definitely going to work.

Lucy

How many fish are you getting?

devsi

Just six infants - the sponge filter has been in a much higher bioload tank for months, so it should definitely have enough BB.

Lucy

Sounds good. :)

devsi

Thank you again :)

devsi

I don't know what went wrong, but the Sponge Filter definitely wasn't ready for the QT. After 24 hours the Ammonia had dropped from 2ppm -> 1ppm, and 24 hours after that there was no change.

So I took the risk and added them to the main tank, where I at least know it's fully cycled and they won't be at risk.

Lucy

Hmm, possibly not enough media moved over or not enough bacteria to process the ammonia.
Did you by any chance check the nitrites and nitrates?
2ppm was quite a bit;)

Good luck! Hope things go well.

devsi

Hmm, possibly not enough media moved over or not enough bacteria to process the ammonia.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but found it weird that it processed 1ppm in the first 24 hours, then nothing in the second 24 hours.
Did you by any chance check the nitrites and nitrates?
I did test Nitrite (0ppm) but didn't Nitrate, mainly because Ammonia was too high and I wasn't going to subject them to it :)
2ppm was quite a bit;)
ha yeah - honestly, I actually dosed to 1ppm, forgetting that my tap water has 1ppm, so inadvertently dosed to 2ppm :)
Good luck! Hope things go well.

JTW

It's most likely fine. You can get away without QT more often than not.

But for the future, I would have recommended putting them in the QT tank anyway. Now all your fish are at risk, not just the new ones. But you're probably fine anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Given the choice between a weakly cycled QT tank, and no QT at all, I'd go with the QT. But I guess with 1ppm in your tap, you're in a different situation than me, so I get why you made that choice.

Good luck, and enjoy your new fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Barrk2
Replies
Views
BadhbhCatha
  • Question
  • BadhbhCatha
  • Tetras
Replies