Did I mess up? Question

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

Well ...I get to the fish store and was about to buy my beautiful Bleeding Heart Tetras when the clerk stopped me! He said it would be a mistake to buy the Tetras even with the safe start because they don't handle any type of cycling well. Then my daughter spotted a fresh water Puffer and begged me to get her for her (she already decided the puffer was a girl) and I gave in. Puffers are notoriously mean so now my tetras are gone forever.:-\

As companions to the Puffer I got two gourami's. (The mystery fish by the way turned out to be an albino Gourami according to the new fish clerk! But I'll paste the pics once the fish are settled and hopefully don't each other up) But I don't feel good about it. I mean can Puffer's have companions of any kind? Did I just create a poteintial fish blood bath! (At the moment I'm still acliminating the fish/ If that's the word. They don't even know about each other yet. I don't know if I made good choices guys. Except for the mystery fish they were all impulse buys ...:-[

2. crazedACD Member Member

First off...what kind of puffer?

3. Jackie Frost Member Member

Freash water puffer.

4. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

How big is the puffer and what does it look like? You need to remove the gouramis, there is no such thing as a peaceful puffer. Like I said there is no such thing as just albino gouramis, the gouramis could kill each other, do the gouramis have any markings

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

This is a great article about fresh water dwarf puffers: http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwat.../puffer/dwarf-puffers-are-hard-to-resist.aspx

Very informative about these little dudes. I wonder why the lfs owner deterred you from tetras, but not puffers. Puffers are notoriously sensitive to cycling issues. Imo, I wouldn't add any new fish, especially not a puffer, to a cycling tank.

:;st Once I learned how different fish (also dogs, cats, etc.) have such different requirements, I realized that it's not a good idea impulse buy any creature. It's not fair to the new guy or the original tank mates if/when something goes wrong. It's always okay to see something that really appeals to us, go home and research and then go right back and purchase the fishy and any extra required tank/supplies. You might get a weird look when lfs owner sees you back in the store so soon, but ya get used to it. :giggle: It's how I graduated to 5 tanks in 6 months. *lol*

6. Jackie Frost Member Member

The puffer is spotted and is about an inch long. One gourami is the uh 'albino' and is an inch and a half. The other is yellow and spotted.

I really messed up huh? Aw poopie.:-[

7. crazedACD Member Member

There are a handful of freshwater puffers...is it maybe a dwarf puffer? They only max out at about 1" and are usually pretty tiny when you buy them. However, they are pretty viscous..they have beaks and will tear a fishes' fins up pretty good (not unheard of for them to kill other, bigger fish). They are best in a species only tank.

Some of the other puffers commonly seen are figure 8's and green spotteds..though these are brackish but are usually sold out of freshwater tanks.

I wouldn't chance any of them with other fish. What works one day may not the next, JMHO.

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:) It's understandable. It's SO hard not to buy every single fishy that we see.

I do suggest returning the puff until the tank cycles. I don't think she'll survive the cycle process.

Now, there is a way to be better prepared for impulse purchase (because really there are times when a fishy just screams "TAke me Home!" :)) - check out craigslist and freecyle in your area. I find SO many great deals on there: 20g with hood, lights, filter, etc. for $30, and such. I just keep the extras in my garage. You never know when you're gonna need an extra tank.

;D We're really good at enabling MTS here. :;toast

9. Jackie Frost Member Member

Well all the fish are hiding now so I can't take pics. Every fish has their own hiding spot. It's kind of funny in a way. I keeping careful watch and preparing for the worst though. I'm still hoping some miracle will happen and they'll get along. But if worst comes to worse Poppin (my daughter's name for her) will go back to the store.:'(

What fish breed does get along with gourami's?

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

is this all for the 15g tank thats still cycling ?

11. Jackie Frost Member Member

Cycling with Tetra Safe Start ...yes.

12. Jackie Frost Member Member

Well gang I read up on the puffer and now I know I made a serious mistake. Not only are they aggresive, but they also have little tolerance for Safe Start cycle. (I wonder why the clerk who knew about Tetra cycling didn't warn me against Puffer cycling.) They said I could return him as long as I had the receipt ...so she'll go back Monday. It would be Sunday but I don't want my daughter to know about it yet.:;dk