Did I make a mistake?

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I just walked away from a 12 compartment betta barrack being sold by my lfs.

Each compartment was filtered etc and the whole thing was tiny, only about 1 litre per compartment, I thought they were far too small but the owner looked at me like I was an idiot, I just couldnt see my babies living in such small and cramped conditions after being used to about 5gals each!

2. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say you did. I know mine are used to 3 gallons and upward, and I don't necessarily like the idea of downsizing them.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Its just the containers looked so small I can see them being handy for a breeder growing out some fighter but I just couldnt bear to downsize them to that small!

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i think you did the right thing, although something like that with each being about 2.5-3 gallons would be awesome

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you made a mistake, either. You know what's best for your fish and I agree with your decision not to downsize your fish.

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

This makes me feel so much better, the lfs was making me feel like I was an idiot for not buying it and they were really pushing for me to buy so I felt a bit put out of joint. The way it was described to me I thought it was about 2g per container which I would have considered! but 1 litre I wouldnt house any fish in!

7. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

The LFS, no matter how good they are, are trying to sell you things. Only you know what's best for your fishies :)

8. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Stores, they only want to make a sale. They don't know or care about your fish really. This is the people who usually put bettas in cups! Mommy knows whats best for her babies! :)

9. Borisbbadd Guest

That would be so cool !!!

10. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

How much was the barracks? Just wondering, that would have been part of my decision making

11. Diggly Well Known Member Member

They wanted £130, price wasnt an issue for me it was more the long term home for my babies and the containers really did look so small.

I am working on a diy project atm anyway of a similar thing with about 2-3 gallons per area. Maybe I should start a blog :p.

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You should definitely post it in the DIY section. I would really like to see your ideas and progress.

I agree that more important than the price is the fact that you'd be keeping 12 bettas in 1/4 gallon of water each, which is smaller than most of the betta bowls.