Did I Make A Mistake?

1. Daniel Erickson Initiate Member

So, just added some Argentinian Swords, Amazon Swords and some Anubis to my tank with Java Fern. I knew I needed more substrate because my plants roots where sometimes sticking out and they were floating to the surface. So I got one of those small bags of gravel substrate and rinsed it and added it to my tank. Is that ok? Also, has anyone ever had a planted tank grow without plant food? And has anyone ever had Argentinian Swords?
  2. DHIWZ Member Member

Totally fine to add some gravel. My good friend won't grow his plants on anything except a bed of miracle-gro with gravel on top.

I don't dose my tank with plant food and my plants grow just fine. The key to plants is more so good lighting and soil than how much fertilizer you dose.

I imagine like most swords they'll be pretty hardy and easy to grow. Though as said above you will experience the very best results with good lighting and soil.

3. Daniel Erickson Initiate Member

Thank you for telling me, I've just had these plants in gravel and they are already sprouting with no fertilizer or any.
  4. DHIWZ Member Member

Just gravel is probably fine for something as hardy as a sword, but if you want to grow more difficult plants (or just want your swords to grow faster) remember a high quality substrate will be best!

5. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Sword plants are heavy root feeders, if you notice them not doing well, add some root tab fertilizer at the base of the plant.