...Did I make a big mistake? Overstocked?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys. So today I went to my local petsmart to get 2 nerite snails and 2 guppies. Well I came home with 2 nerite snails and 3 guppies... I could NOT decide! They were all sooo pretty and healthy! As it was I left one I wanted behind. So question, am I overstocked now? Main concern tank: 10g #1 has 7 male guppies, 4 peppered corydoras, 1 nerite snail. Is this overboard? I can do bigger/more often water changes/vacuuming if needed. More stats on tank:
Temp: 74
Cycled?: yes
Heater: yes
Filter: yes
Aeration: yes
Substrate: sand
live plants: yes

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
Hey guys. So today I went to my local petsmart to get 2 nerite snails and 2 guppies. Well I came home with 2 nerite snails and 3 guppies... I could NOT decide! They were all sooo pretty and healthy! As it was I left one I wanted behind. So question, am I overstocked now? Main concern tank: 10g #1 has 7 male guppies, 4 peppered corydoras, 1 nerite snail. Is this overboard? I can do bigger/more often water changes/vacuuming if needed. More stats on tank:
Temp: 74
Cycled?: yes
Heater: yes
Filter: yes
Aeration: yes
Substrate: sand
live plants: yes
I think you’ll be ok, just monitor water parameters and adjust maintenance as needed. You can also only feed your fish 6 days a week and this will reduce the overall nitrogen in the tank. I also find that floating plants help eat up load of nutrients. I have 3 guppies in a 5 gallon covered in floating plants and never register any ammonia nitrites or nitrates :)

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Megaanemp said:
I think you’ll be ok, just monitor water parameters and adjust maintenance as needed. You can also only feed your fish 6 days a week and this will reduce the overall nitrogen in the tank. I also find that floating plants help eat up load of nutrients. I have 3 guppies in a 5 gallon covered in floating plants and never register any ammonia nitrites or nitrates :)
Nice! Okay, thank you very much. I thought you were supposed to have some nitrates?

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Megaanemp said:
I think you’ll be ok, just monitor water parameters and adjust maintenance as needed. You can also only feed your fish 6 days a week and this will reduce the overall nitrogen in the tank :)
FishGirl115 said:
Nice! Okay, thank you very much. I thought you were supposed to have some nitrates?
You are right you, technically should! It means the tank is cycled. But I have so many plants in the 5 gallon and am so careful not to over feed that it is not cycled at all and the plants eat all the waste. If you add Some floating plants it will help eat up some nitrates without disturbing your cycle :)

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
About the cories, because there's somtimes confusion:
We are talking Corydoras paleatus, right?

If so it might be a bit much.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MacZ said:
About the cories, because there's somtimes confusion:
We are talking Corydoras paleatus, right?

If so it might be a bit much.
Yes. Corydoras Paleatus. They are all between 1.5 and 2 inches right now.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you’re fine, a bit overstocked but many people have managed with much higher bioload than that. I agree though, plants!

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UnknownUser said:
I think you’re fine, a bit overstocked but many people have managed with much higher bioload than that. I agree though, plants!
Alright. Thank you!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The guppies IMO aren't a problem. Its the species of corys that are an issue, as peppers can get big. However you have told me that you feel its fine and you can upgrade if necessary.
FishGirl115 said:
Yes and no. Nitrates are in a way an indicator of a cycled tank(although uncycled tanks can have them); as long as your ammonia and nitrite are constantly zero though I wouldn't worry about it(and of course keep nitrates low enough). Some cycled tanks will have 0 nitrates.

MacZ yes I'm pretty sure we are.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
flyinGourami said:
The guppies IMO aren't a problem. Its the species of corys that are an issue, as peppers can get big. However you have told me that you feel its fine and you can upgrade if necessary.

Yes and no. Nitrates are in a way an indicator of a cycled tank(although uncycled tanks can have them); as long as your ammonia and nitrite are constantly zero though I wouldn't worry about it(and of course keep nitrates low enough). Some cycled tanks will have 0 nitrates.
Okay! Thanks. I do have an empty 29 gallon that I'll set up after I move. I can add them to that if this becomes a problem

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
Yes. Corydoras Paleatus. They are all between 1.5 and 2 inches right now.
Yeah, that definitely brings you to the slight overstocked side. While a 10 gallon could easily house 6-8 C. habrosus, 4 C. paleatus can be a bit much.
As the others said: More plants and maybe higher percentage waterchanges should make this work. Also means no further additions to the stocking.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
Okay! Thanks. I do have an empty 29 gallon that I'll set up after I move. I can add them to that if this becomes a problem
Really I would just keep an eye on them. Honestly sometimes I do think the stocking stuff is a bit too serious... If you truly feel its fine then hey, maybe it is.
Depends on your tank but I think the stock is definitely manageable, 4 corys and 7 guppies with the nerite to me don't have a massive bio load at all.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MacZ said:
Yeah, that definitely brings you to the slight overstocked side. While a 10 gallon could easily house 6-8 C. habrosus, 4 C. paleatus can be a bit much.
As the others said: More plants and maybe higher percentage waterchanges should make this work. Also means no further additions to the stocking.
K! Thanks!
flyinGourami said:
Really I would just keep an eye on them. Honestly sometimes I do think the stocking stuff is a bit too serious... If you truly feel its fine then hey, maybe it is.
Depends on your tank but I think the stock is definitely manageable, 4 corys and 7 guppies with the nerite to me don't have a massive bio load at all.
Thank you! I will watch them closely. Everybody is happy and active so far!

New Threads