Did I just make a mistake?

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
4 years
Hi all! So due to the light on my 5 gallon aquarium I get ridiculous amounts of fuzzy annoying algae in my tank. The only inhabitants were a CPO (Mexican dwarf) crayfish and a dingle ember tetra (which I do plan to get more of). Now this particular CPO is a little more aggressive than most. When I had a betta he did attack him from time to time (rode his fins). Anyway to help combat this algae I just got 15+ ghost shrimp to try to help it and since adding them he has been chasing them around claws out. They have all managed to avoid him but do you think I just killed them, or will he adjust. I do have a fluval flex with an semi-established black diamond shrimp I could move them to but I have heard that ghost shrimp can sometimes be aggressive (which is why I picked them, they could stand up for themselves in theory). Opinions?

Willj626

Reactions
Experience
5 years
Your CPO may make snacks of the ghost shrimp but I doubt it will eat too many of them. I wouldn't call this too big of a mistake unless you were hoping for a successful ghost shrimp colony in the tank. Probably in a day or two though your CPO will calm down and just ignore the ghost shrimp and only occasionally chase a few down that are slow or get too close. Not everyone likes them but you can always try snails to solve your algae problems as well!

New Threads