Did i just kill my tank on accident?

Nickguy5467

for the first time i forgot to add prime while i was filling up the tank and ran my filter for maybe ten minutes. i added prime and a little safe after that maybe ten min, but did i kill all my bb? sigh i just got new fish too

might have posted this in the wrong spot but meh.

StarGirl

I guess you will see......I would say you should be ok but who knows?

Nickguy5467

I guess you will see......I would say you should be ok but who knows?
i hope you're right

i do weekly water changes according to the directions of using thrive

StarGirl

I bet you wont do that again for a long time. ;)

Nickguy5467

I bet you wont do that again for a long time. ;)
yeah. i guess my brain only has a certain capacity. i was focused on getting this cutt off of my anubias onto a log with super glue which wasnt working. ended up just using fish line to tie it on. and forgot about the other very important thing i should have also done T_T.... derp

Dunk2

for the first time i forgot to add prime while i was filling up the tank and ran my filter for maybe ten minutes. i added prime and a little safe after that maybe ten min, but did i kill all my bb? sigh i just got new fish too

might have posted this in the wrong spot but meh.
How long has your tank been cycled/running?

For my curiosity, why’d you add Prime and Safe?

Nickguy5467

How long has your tank been cycled/running?

For my curiosity, why’d you add Prime and Safe?
few years. i also added safe because lack of judgment freak out

Nickguy5467

anyway. thanks star. ill update if im a mass murderer or not. hopefully not like you say

Dunk2

few years. i also added safe because lack of judgment freak out
That’s a valid reason! :)

As StarGirl said, you might be ok. . . But I’d test your water parameters daily for the next week or so.

Oh, and no more freak outs. :D

Nickguy5467

That’s a valid reason! :)

As StarGirl said, you might be ok. . . But I’d test your water parameters daily for the next week or so.

Oh, and no more freak outs. :D
yes sir/mam/person =)

Nickguy5467

now that i think about it. its a good thing plants absorb ammonia. and i have plenty of them . maybe not all amonia but some i guess. considering if i actually did kill my bb, maybe that will help some. i guess if they absorbed all. there wouldnt be any for bb. guess i should research how much is "shared"

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_123726589.jpg
    IMG_20220807_123726589.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 4

Dunk2

now that i think about it. its a good thing plants absorb ammonia. and i have plenty of them . maybe not all amonia but some i guess. considering if i actually did kill my bb, maybe that will help some. i guess if they absorbed all. there wouldnt be any for bb. guess i should research how much is "shared"
My suggestion. . . Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Test daily and, if necessary, do a water change.

GlennO

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. A few minutes after I finished refilling the tank I realised that I had forgotten to add Prime and rushed to add it. In my case there were no adverse consequences. I guess it depends how much chlorine is in your tap water and how long your fish and BB are exposed to it.

Nickguy5467

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. A few minutes after I finished refilling the tank I realised that I had forgotten to add Prime and rushed to add it. In my case there were no adverse consequences. I guess it depends how much chlorine is in your tap water and how long your fish and BB are exposed to it.
as of right now . there are no ammonia spikes but i guess thats to be expected since it just happened . ill test again tomorrow

update: lost one of my neons T_T hope its not a start of something. hopefully its one of my new ones freaking out from a water change. not that its good that he died, but i mean not that its not the start of a massive die off

PeterFishKeepin

How big was the water change, 25%, 50%, 75%... etc, this will make a difference, if it was quite large, ie 75% it may have been bad but, if only a 25to like 40% it should be fine, i topped up a tank which had lost around 20% to evaporation and forgot prime until 5 mins later it been 4 days and no issues. Best of luck hope all is ok :)

Peter :)

Nickguy5467

How big was the water change, 25%, 50%, 75%... etc, this will make a difference, if it was quite large, ie 75% it may have been bad but, if only a 25to like 40% it should be fine, i topped up a tank which had lost around 20% to evaporation and forgot prime until 5 mins later it been 4 days and no issues. Best of luck hope all is ok :)

Peter :)
abouth 50% . as of today my water levels are perfectly fine. no ammonia . no nitrite. i did lose a neon and maybe a card. or another neon. i cant really tell when they are dead in a tiny cup. of water as they start to lose their color

Blacksheep1

I did this in my shrimp tank a month or two ago , I added iron fert instead of prime as the bottles are practically identical. The drip process takes well over an hour and I noticed whilst tidying up near the end of it. Added the prime immediately to the tank , enough for the whole tank , and I’ve not lost a single shrimp surprisingly.

i second the advice above , test and wc as necessary.
image.jpgBack of the bottles which is what I saw when I grabbed it.
image.jpgclear from the front but I didn’t check.

Nickguy5467

still no ammonia or nitrite. seems i might be in the clear
now that i think of it. what if that random addition of "safe" is what saved me? lul just kidding

Nickguy5467

I did this in my shrimp tank a month or two ago , I added iron fert instead of prime as the bottles are practically identical. The drip process takes well over an hour and I noticed whilst tidying up near the end of it. Added the prime immediately to the tank , enough for the whole tank , and I’ve not lost a single shrimp surprisingly.

i second the advice above , test and wc as necessary.
image.jpgBack of the bottles which is what I saw when I grabbed it.
image.jpgclear from the front but I didn’t check.
im glad you got it worked out in the end

Blacksheep1

Me too. Glad yours seems to be safe now haha ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
lojack
Replies
Views
tokiodreamy
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl