Did I Do this right?!?!?!?!

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Below are some links to the pictures I downloaded onto Photobucket.com. Will someone take a look and see if I attached the plant to the driftwood well enough?? Please give me your honest opinions and advice, this is my first plant and I don't want to mess it up ;)

BTW, It is a Coffee Leaf Anubia -- i think it is so cute! (anubias coffeefolias)

Thanks!!!
    Jaime

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Attached Files:

2. Janmitch22 Member Member

Looks fine to me...as long as it isn't in danger of being uprooted or knocked loose, it should be good.

At least that's what I think. I only put in a couple of live plants last week and I did the same thing you did. I rubber-banded those suckers to driftwood and kind of buried the rhizome in the sand a bit.

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

I just got an Anubias Barteri some special Emerald variety and have tied it to my rockwork today

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I didn't think you were supposed to bury the rhizome at all?

anyhow, the only reason why I was worried if I did it right (BTW, thank you both for your comments :) ) is because I couldn't get the base of the plant to sit down on the driftwood, there's some space between. Is that okay?

Also, if you look at the roots spreading out off my driftwood, they are just kind of laying on the gravel. Should I tuck them underneath the driftwood? Will they attach easier that way? Thanks in advance.

PS -- Every since I put the plant on that driftwood, my pleco has been on the driftwood, and has not went into hiding once .. WOO hoo!!!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It looks fine to me. Sometimes I bury part if the roots in the substrate but not the rhizome. I love the Anubias coffeefolia the leaves have a very nice texture to them.
    Carol

6. Janmitch22 Member Member

<uncovering rhizome>  Yeah, I just buried the roots a little bit too. I didn't bury the rhizome at all, what idiot would do that? That's crazy....

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Jaime,
    It looks great! Next time you want to post pictures, copy and past the Img link on photobucket instead of the Url link and your photos will appear on your thread.

8. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thanks Gunnie, I didn't know you could do that :) I changed it now. Can you do that with videos too? Or will it just bring over the image of the first frame and not the whole video?

Anyway -- looking at the pics now, does anyone think that I should take the roots and put them underneath the driftwood, kind of wrapping them around? Do you guys think that would look better, or do you think I should just leave it alone?

LOL

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You could tuck them a bit but won't make any difference. In the long run they will go where they want to ;)
    Carol

10. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

11. zebra Member Member

I know that I am a newbie, but I do know a little about plants, it's what i do for a living. Regarding the Rhizome, of any plant wheather at ground level or under water, you do not want to bury the rhizome, it will rot. If the plant has a good root system and something to anchor itself to (soil or driftwood) it should be just fine. Just make sure to keep the rhizome above, can be frustrating and take time, but usually the plant will really reward you for it.

12. zebra Member Member

Also ment to say that it looks really nice and the roots should easily anchor the plant.
    LOL :)

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thank you ( although it hasn't done anything yet :( *tear tear*) but i know that the anubias are VERY slow growing so i am trying to be patient, lol

14. Jason Well Known Member Member

This is just a Quest. on my part does the actual base of the Anubias have to be touching the rockwork driftwood because I have got it just above but the roots are flat on the rock????

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

J-man that should work. The roots are what anchor it.
    Carol

16. Jason Well Known Member Member

8)

17. skippi Member Member

Ok now for the really silly question for us newbies.. What is the rhizome of the plant???? I have some plants and they barely have roots let alone anthing else? should I be putting them directly into my gravel to anchor them or what should I do?? Please help me I have ancharis, Hornwort, Water sprite, Red brown Cabomba, and some kind of grass substance.