Did I Burn My Betta? :(((

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I got my Betta for my birthday and had set up the 5 gallon tank that morning. the tank still had bubbles all over the inside of the glass in spite of the fact that the water had been well treated with Stresscoat. I didn't wait to put him in his tank because the water in the container from the pet store was so grungy. Now he has small white scars like burn scars on the outside of one of his gills. He has had one course of antibiotics and seems to be doing fine, but did I burn him? Is this something else that needs attention? The tank is already at the seasoned stage as I have used an agent to help the process along and it didn't take as long. ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sometimes when you start up a new tank you get bubbles all over. They will gas out in the next 24 hours. I'm not sure if you did anything wrong. If the water is that bad from the pet store, your betta might have come from bad quality water anyway, and that's why his gill is burned. Just watch him close, and slowly acclimate him by adding a little bit of your tank water to his bag of water every half hour or so, and then when the bag is pretty full, net him and add him to your tank. Discard the water he was in and don't add it to the tank. You don't want any of that grungy water in your tank. Let us know how your new fishie is doing! Welcome to Fishlore! ;)

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Poor Azul... :'(
    Is he better now chickadee?

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Yes he is some better. It took a long while and we went through a lot of treatment, but he is a happy, sometimes ornery little fish now. ( he can be very playful too)

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

:) that's good. :)

6. NanoAddict Member Member

in my class we used to have a saltwater tank and our substitute teacher had a heater on next to it and he left it on killing all the fish ??? :eek:

7. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

That's terrible  :'( ,Tyler.  I hope you were able to get some more fish and your teacher was more careful.  Thank you for writing.
    Welcome.

Shalom,

Rose (chickadee)   :)