• No

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Yes, and it happens a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncertain

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

WrenFeenix

I'm genuinely curious as to how many people have never dealt with ich.

mattgirl

I read about it constantly here on the forum but have never experienced it myself. I do have to ask, Have you ?

LowConductivity

I made it from 1993 to 2020 between ich outbreaks.

StarGirl

Once or twice in the last 20 years. Not very often.

WrenFeenix

mattgirl said:
I read about it constantly here on the forum but have never experienced it myself. I do have to ask, Have you ?
Cool, and according to your profile, you've been keeping fish a long time!

Me personally with my fish: no. I've dealt with quite a few other diseases tho. Some were really nasty.
The fish at the pet store I used to work at: near-constant problem. I'm shocked that I (presumably) never brought it home with me. That's why I'm curious.

How often do you guys use salt? Maybe salt has something to do with it. I've used it a few times before for wounds.

mattgirl

WrenFeenix said:
Cool, and according to your profile, you've been keeping fish a long time!

Me personally with my fish: no. I've dealt with quite a few other diseases tho. Some were really nasty.
The fish at the pet store I used to work at: near-constant problem. I'm shocked that I (presumably) never brought it home with me. That's why I'm curious.

How often do you guys use salt? Maybe salt has something to do with it. I've used it a few times before for wounds.
Yes, a very long time. I got into the hobby in the mid 80's.

It is good that you haven't had to deal with it in any of your tanks. Sorry about the others though

Thankfully I've never had to deal with any kind of disease in my tanks. It leaves me unable to help others diagnose or treat their fish but even at that I am thankful I've not had to learn about that part of the hobby.

I don't use salt in any of my tanks. I have it on hand but only used it to regenerate nitra-zorb back when I was using it.

BadhbhCatha

Ugh going through it right now. It’s a rollercoaster.

Deku-Cory

Some of my Cherry Barbs got it in quarantine. That's the only time I've ever had fish with it to my knowledge.

Sanderguy777

I had 12 rainbows from a local breeder that got it initially, and I treated with ich x, then they got it again later that week. After the second treatment, they've been fine.

Other than that, I think my platies had it a couple times last year, but I dlnt know why. I might have added new fish or something...

Mostly, the only time I worry about it is when I add fish, since I didn't ever have a QT tank till recently (and haven't gotten any new fish since I got it lol!)

Flyfisha

Ich seems to be very common in the eastern states of Australia.

Admittedly I have brought and sold a lot of fish in my short 5 years in the hobby . But I have had Ich 6 times in our 30 tanks . The last time was from plants brought from Petbarn, our biggest chain store.
Only twice have I lost fish. Two blue rams that I got from a Sydney auction exploded with Ich 40 days later after not showing any signs . Both fish died in 48 hours.An experience that made me question a one month quarantine.The second time I lost fish was the most recent plant addition episode. I lost some green neons as I was not watching the tank closely or expecting trouble from a handful of damp plants.

I would like to take this opportunity to state again that the strain of Ich in Australia is not stopped by heat. We have a heat resistant strain due to our climate?

Dennis57

43 years and never had it, ( same goes for my fish ) Knock on wood

coralbandit

I think ich is like a common cold .
It should be no big deal for any one to treat and does not need cost one fish .
I have had ich in the past but my fish room is disease free for last 5 years at least .
Regular water changes prevent a lot of issues [not to preach but just saying ] .

WrenFeenix

BadhbhCatha said:
Oh man, I second you on the rollercoaster comparison. Fish are so hard to keep sometimes.

Flyfisha said:
Ich seems to be very common in the eastern states of Australia.

Admittedly I have brought and sold a lot of fish in my short 5 years in the hobby . But I have had Ich 6 times in our 30 tanks . The last time was from plants brought from Petbarn, our biggest chain store.
Only twice have I lost fish. Two blue rams that I got from a Sydney auction exploded with Ich 40 days later after not showing any signs . Both fish died in 48 hours.An experience that made me question a one month quarantine.The second time I lost fish was the most recent plant addition episode. I lost some green neons as I was not watching the tank closely or expecting trouble from a handful of damp plants.

I would like to take this opportunity to state again that the strain of Ich in Australia is not stopped by heat. We have a heat resistant strain due to our climate?
Whoa, those ich were merciless. Disease always seems like that to me; no signs initially then crazy death spiral 2 months in. I wonder if the ich you encounter is a different species than ich in the US/other parts of the world... Hm, apparently there is only one species of freshwater ich. Maybe its a particularly opportunistic and heat-tolerant subspecies. Silver lining: if you're the first one to document it, you can name it whatever you like. I suggest "Ichthyophthirius multifiliis ssp. ihatemylifus".

I've never really used much heat for ich. Salt is usually enough to take care of it, and I only turn up the heater a few degrees. I didn't like using ich meds on the fish either because it seemed to really stress them out, and the horrible stains. It was kind of awkward explaining why my hands were swamp-thing green to customers.ops:

OiFisho

WrenFeenix said:
I'm genuinely curious as to how many people have never dealt with ich.
My fish just got ich! They have recovered now and it hasn't seem to have spread. I went to a local fish store called World of Pets and they sold me 2 platies with ich! And then offered to sell me the medicine, which they should've offered to give it to me for free when they infected my tank in the first place! Thus, I am mad and they suck.

WrenFeenix

OiFisho said:
My fish just got ich! They have recovered now and it hasn't seem to have spread. I went to a local fish store called World of Pets and they sold me 2 platies with ich! And then offered to sell me the medicine, which they should've offered to give it to me for free when they infected my tank in the first place! Thus, I am mad and they suck.
The pet store I worked at had a 2 week health policy. Customers could just return or exchange fish, or we could treat it for them if they wanted us to. Lfs have way shorter return times than big box stores where I live (like 24 hours vs 2 weeks), so lfs are really shooting themselves in the foot. I have no idea why they don't change. I'm glad your fish are okay.

LowConductivity

OiFisho said:
Well...yeah....here's a $2 fish.....your fish is sick....here are the $12 meds for your sick fish.... if your fish doesn't make, we'll replace it. Winning!

Betta'sAnonymous

The platies got ich pretty good a few years ago. Haven't had to deal with it since, though.

Flyfisha

No WrenFeenix I am definitely not the first to acknowledge this strain of ich. It’s common knowledge in Australia that for ich to survive in our climate it has to go through a few months of extreme temperatures every year.

Just as well because I can think of other things I would rather have named after me.

BadhbhCatha

Why am I here
BadhbhCatha said:
Praying not to lose one tonight.

WrenFeenix

Flyfisha said:
No WrenFeenix I am definitely not the first to acknowledge this strain of ich. It’s common knowledge in Australia that for ich to survive in our climate it has to go through a few months of extreme temperatures every year.

Just as well because I can think of other things I would rather have named after me.

Does that thermometer say 41C?:eek: That is toasty. I've never heard of even the air temperature getting that hot where I live!
It's summer in Australia right now, right? How hot does it normally get where you are?

Yep, I agree that a parasite is definitely not the most glamorous thing to go down in history for.

BadhbhCatha said:
Why am I here
Praying not to lose one tonight.
Hang in there! Have you gone to the health and disease section of the forum for help?

betta06

Flyfisha

Yes that is an old tank water fire bucket at 41 degrees centigrade . The amazing thing and why I took that photo is there was a cherry shrimp accidentally living in that old tank water.
I live in the cooler part of the country at least it’s cool at night.

MacZ

One case (around 1997?) between 1992 and 2002 and then again one case in 2019.
Adding fish without store water, quarantining and healthy sources (stores) is the best way to prevent it.

BadhbhCatha

WrenFeenix said:
Does that thermometer say 41C?:eek: That is toasty. I've never heard of even the air temperature getting that hot where I live!
It's summer in Australia right now, right? How hot does it normally get where you are?

Yep, I agree that a parasite is definitely not the most glamorous thing to go down in history for.

Hang in there! Have you gone to the health and disease section of the forum for help?
Yes! Thank you! Everyone has been extremely helpful over there! We just gave them dose #3. The bottle only gave a two dose cycle but a couple of them still had trophonts yesterday. I am praying the meds don’t kill them. You can definitely see the change in their behavior when the doses are first applied. On the good side, it is water change day so we FINALLY got to add some salt to the tank. Wish we had been able to do it earlier.
betta06 said:
yes my tetras have it
I hope they get better! I’m sending happy thoughts your way.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom