Did 50% water change PH dropped from 7 to 6 Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by sambofish, Dec 21, 2012.

1. s

sambofish Valued Member Member

Good morning,

I have a 56 gallon planted tank with angelfish, gourami's, black neon's, madagascar rainbows. last night at around 6:30 I did a 50% WC in my tank as I was adding two new plants to it, before I did the wc my ph was at 7. This morning at 10am. I checked the PH at its at 6. my results as of this morning are High PH 7.4, Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-0 and temp-80. I use prime for all my wc. Will this be a problem for my angelfish. I'm a little nervous because during the WC a angelfish died.

Thanks for your help.

2. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Did you get thae water straight from your tap. Or did you treat it in a container

3. OP
    OP
    s

It was tap water that I treated before I used it. I have two 10 gallons buckets that I fill up and treat with prime for 15 minutes before I pour in.

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would check my taps ph right out of the faucet and after sitting out for 24 hours. If there is a significant difference you may need to do much smaller pwcs to avoid swings.

I am not surprised and angel dies under those conditions, the ph scale is logarithmic, meaning 7.0 is 10x more acidic than 8 while 6 is 100x more acidic than 8. So your water swung around in acidity by 50 or 60x.

5. OP
    OP
    s

Normally I only do about a 25-35% WC...however, because I was adding plants and its a column tank..I needed to get deeper into the tank. Anything I can do to fix this? Also the fish are at the top of the tank which is not usual for them? How can I raise the PH? is their an O2 issue now?

6. Matt B

You can raise the ph by adding crushed coral to the filter to raise kh and gh thus ph. I would recommend testing your water kh and gh before doing anything to alter it.

The best thing you can do right now is prevent anymore changes in ph for now so they can acclimate to current conditions.

We need to find out why the wc dropped it so much so I would test my tap and aged tap water. I'm assuming you are not on a well so a possibility is the water company changed something. They could be putting out softer water now, thus the tests.

Hanging at the surface can indicate an o2 issue, did you shut off your filter or airstone?

7. OP
    OP
    s

Matt B- I shut it off when I did the WC last night, however, I turn it back on when I'm done and its been on every since. I don't use airstones because I've read its bad for a planted tank. NYC waters pretty much stays at 7.2 unless something has changed recently that I wasn't aware of because of sandy. I will taste the water when I get home to see if it has indeed changed.

8. Matt B

Well, it shouldn't be an o2 issue unless you are using co2 or the temperature came way up. They may just be stressed from the ph rollercoaster. Airstones can be counter-productive if used in a tank with the co2 levels artificially inflated. The bubbles release the extra co2 returning the levels to normal.

Not to be funny, but you did mean "test" not "taste" the water when you get home right?

9. OP
    OP
    s

HAHA Yes I do mean Test...HAHA. I haven't installed Co2 yet...I just dose with co2 right now. That will be my 2nd big purchase after I get my lights.

10. Matt B

Even if I could tell the parameters by taste I don't think I'd use that ability on my aquariums! :;laughing

11. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like your tank has been depleted of carbonate. This can happen when the tap changes (something I deal with) or it can happen when the plants consume it.

As your fish are in distress I would add 1/8 tsp baking soda. Wait an hour then retest your pH. If fish are still distressed and pH is still low, repeat.

You will also need to purchase a GH/KH test kit. Then you will be better prepared for these types of issues.

Hopefully you won't lose your fish.

12. OP
    OP
    s

HAHA...I don't think my wife would let me if I could...HAHA

13. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; Perhaps smaller volume water changes more often. This way there should not be such dramatic swings with a water change.

14. Matt B

I may have misunderstood what sambofish was saying, I thought the ph was now at 7.4 and adding baking soda to that would not be ideal correct?

Sambofish-Is your ph now 7.4 or 6?

15. OP
    OP
    s

It's at 6 Matt_B, wife tested the tap. PH is at 6.6. Sandy has changed the PH in NYC. So do I add crush coral or peat to my canister to increase PH and how soon would it take to take affect.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  16. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

You can add crushed coral or seashells :) seashells are prettier to look at

17. Matt B

You're going to have to be careful here because I can't imagine a utility would leave it that low for long because it is acidic at that point, it would be a shame to do a bunch of messing with the tank ph to have your tap swing back up.

For now I would follow Catsma's advice above. You can kill your fish with baking soda if you do it too quickly so follow her advice to the letter. Then, for the near future, it may be best to leave your tank with a stable ph (no pwcs) for the next couple of days and see how your tap tests after that.

18. OP
    OP
    s

I've put in my 2nd dose of baking soda, is their a limit on how much? Because PH is still 6. Does baking soda stabilize the PH? Should I temporarily add an air stone (came home another angelfish died....sigh) because of these fluctuations should I not add coral or peat to the tank.

19. Matt B

The baking soda should increase your kh, stabilising the ph. Normally as the kh comes up the ph will as well. What is your kh and gh?

Imo an airstone will not hurt, you can go ahead and add it.

Peat would lower it, essentially what you are doing with the baking soda is a fast version of using coral so you don't need the coral right this second.

Make sure you are allowing time (an hour as Catsma said) between soda doses and checking ph.

20. OP
    OP
    s

PH is still 6 smh. Added my 3rd dose of baking soda.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice