Diatoms Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gef21, Apr 12, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

Ok so my fully cycled tank is now breaking out with Diatoms all over the place. Should I send in a clean up crew of a snail or two?

Any advice on what snails to put into the tank?

Thanks.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Diatoms are natural in a newer tank. Mine is currently covered up with the stuff. It'll go away eventually. Not sure about the snails - I know otos eat them, but they need to go into an older tank.

3. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I think nerite snails will be great for the tank, I'd say a pair of those snails (don't overlook them just 'cause they're small) will remove all the diatoms in a month or so (well, that's what mine did).

Diatoms are also caused by a lack of lighting, so upgrading your bulbs might make them go away.

When I had diatoms, I got rid of them with a combination of 2 horned nerite snails, 3 Amano shrimp, and upgraded light bulbs.

4. flyin-lowe

flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

When I first set up my 120G tank I started getting diatoms like crazy. I thought my lights were on too much so I changed the timer from 12 hours to 10. Then I learned part of the problem was not enough light so I changed it back to 12. I also added 4 albino BN plecos that are about 2 inches each. Between the added light and the BN's the tank has really cleaned up nice.

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I didn't know that about the light, guys. Is it intensity, length of time, or both?

6. flyin-lowe

flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

My understanding is both but I may be wrong on that part. I was just told to leave my light on longer.

7. ZomZom

ZomZomValued MemberMember

I'll second the idea that diatoms can be caused by not enough light. I had them for months but they went away within a week of keeping the lights on 12 hours daily.

8. OP
    OP
    gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

ok I will head to my LFS to look at what snails they have today. My tank has a lot of wattage and it is on from about 6 AM until 6 or 7 pm everyday.

I did have a day this weekend where the lights were not on. Maybe that made the bloom worse.