Diatoms

• Thread starter gef21
  • Start date

gef21

Ok so my fully cycled tank is now breaking out with Diatoms all over the place. Should I send in a clean up crew of a snail or two?

Any advice on what snails to put into the tank?

Thanks.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Diatoms are natural in a newer tank. Mine is currently covered up with the stuff. It'll go away eventually. Not sure about the snails - I know otos eat them, but they need to go into an older tank.

Elodea

Well Known
I think nerite snails will be great for the tank, I'd say a pair of those snails (don't overlook them just 'cause they're small) will remove all the diatoms in a month or so (well, that's what mine did).

Diatoms are also caused by a lack of lighting, so upgrading your bulbs might make them go away.

When I had diatoms, I got rid of them with a combination of 2 horned nerite snails, 3 Amano shrimp, and upgraded light bulbs.

flyin-lowe

Well Known
When I first set up my 120G tank I started getting diatoms like crazy. I thought my lights were on too much so I changed the timer from 12 hours to 10. Then I learned part of the problem was not enough light so I changed it back to 12. I also added 4 albino BN plecos that are about 2 inches each. Between the added light and the BN's the tank has really cleaned up nice.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
I didn't know that about the light, guys. Is it intensity, length of time, or both?

flyin-lowe

Well Known
My understanding is both but I may be wrong on that part. I was just told to leave my light on longer.

ZomZom

I'll second the idea that diatoms can be caused by not enough light. I had them for months but they went away within a week of keeping the lights on 12 hours daily.

gef21

ok I will head to my LFS to look at what snails they have today. My tank has a lot of wattage and it is on from about 6 AM until 6 or 7 pm everyday.

I did have a day this weekend where the lights were not on. Maybe that made the bloom worse.

Top Bottom