Diatoms?

Strider1520
New tank start up (16 days in) and brown spots are starting to cover EVERYTHING. Sand (washed pool filter sand) is turning brown and brown spots on everything in tank. I assume this is the diatoms (or brown algae) that people experience on new tank set ups? Maybe from silica in sand? From my research here I assume just let them be and eventually it will go away? Dont want to scrub anything because I am trying to get my BB going. I guess that is my question - they eventually go away?
Pictures

Betta'sAnonymous
You might have to clean it or have something eat it eventually, but they shouldn't come back as bad once you do. And yeah, diatoms! I find a nerite snail can help.

Strider1520
Thank you! As always! Researching them elsewhere, it is the usual internet thing - "your tank is cycled, your tank is not cycled, leave them, clean them immediately, euthanize your fish, yadda yadda".........I appreciate being able to ask newbie questions here and getting support - greatly appreciated.

Dechi
Phosguard works. It’s worked on both my tanks (freshwater and saltwater).

Strider1520
Stuff is really blossoming but until tank finishes cycle, I don’t want to touch anything. Yes, that was white sand.

Betta'sAnonymous
Strider1520 said:
Stuff is really blossoming but until tank finishes cycle, I don’t want to touch anything. Yes, that was white sand.
Thats why i don't use white!(anymore)

mattgirl
Are those real plants or artificial? If not real then you may want to leave your light off. Bacteria doesn't need light to grow. This stuff does. I find I still get it on the top of plants closest to the light source even after all these years.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom