Diatoms

1. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I am curious if anyone knows how to intentionally get them? And in brackish (30-34ppm salt) none the less? Trying to work out how to attempt an experiment, and they are necessary but I've no idea how to get them intentionally and in a bare bottom brackish tank none the less... And are there any commonly available plants that survive brackish conditions? That could mitigate some of the diatom requirement.... Also in brackish conditions... FW or SW test kit as I can only imagine I'll be cycling from scratch and not with existing FW media. I could also be incorrect in my assumption that is brackish conditions it may be straight SW... But the kicker is it'll only be SW for a couple weeks at those levels before being kicked down to brackish, weak brackish and then torn down...

2. matsungit Well Known Member Member

How to intentionally get diatoms? Hmm, maybe bad lighting, some nitrates, and minerals. It doesn't come immediately and usually attaches to rough surfaces like equipment, rock, or decor. Could you please convert 30-34ppm salt to specfic gravity or %ppt? 34%ppt is reef tank marine territory. Plants I have tried and thrived in my low brackish tank are jungle and corkscrew vals, baby tears (w/ co2), and dwarf lily.

3. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

4. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I just snagged the hydrometer, it'll be 1.024 - 1.025 to start. Which is I guess full SW. So I'm going to guess plants are pretty much out other than something like mangrove that goes both ways. I'll wait on sorting out plants to see if this experiment works out in a couple attempts before going that route.

5. matsungit Well Known Member Member

Aside from seaweeds, there are other saltwater plants. The below link points to just a few.
    Marine Plants: Saltwater Plants, Aquarium Marine Algae and Turtle Grass

6. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

What experiment are you trying to achieve? Whenever I setup a tank with silica sand I get diatoms for the first week, how bad I get them depends on light and plants. I guess you could try inducing them by somehow adding silicates to the water and leaving the lights on for 10 hours.