Diatoms

Discussion in 'Algae' started by dirtmidget33, Aug 3, 2015.

1. dirtmidget33New MemberMember

I don't ever remember having diatom issues like I'am experiencing with this one tank. Yes new glass and substrate carry silicate I get that. Currently running seachem phosguard to help I hope. They are really pushing my patience. In the past I had some grow in intake tubes but never like this.

My question on these for those that had big outbreaks of these is when they die what do they leave behind. For instance when they die do they loose there color are do they stay that same nasty brown color forever. Hoping as they die off their color disappears to save a lot of clean up and for them to go away on substrate. Substrate has quartz in it and bet it prolly contains silicate even though it is sold as aquarium rock.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Wow, you had me go and look at my own packaging for Eco-Complete planted and I noticed it has silicon in it also... I have a feeling I regret buying it now lol...

3. OP
    OP
    d

dirtmidget33New MemberMember

Dom90 yeah you might be fighting that for a long time. I know its been awile since I had tanks but I never fought this like I have been with these new tanks. I have been questioning myself why. It seems to be an on going thing everywhere. Has the water purifaction changed in last 20 years causing these issues or glass manufaturing, substrate, I dont know. I still got an old tank with the old substrate been used as a decoration containing a mummified turtle now for years. Tempted to set it up and see if it would have these issues.

It does take joy out of fish at times and could see it being a deal breaker for those that are just starting out.

4. Chunk101

Chunk101Well Known MemberMember

From what I've noticed is that when the diatoms die, they just come off the glass. I've also been battling a fierce diatom growth in my 55g for about a year. It's finally subsiding (not sure why), the glass used to be dark brown but now it's becoming clearer and I didn't wipe the glass.

5. Et tuValued MemberMember

Just tossing this by you, sometimes diatom issues are caused by the wrong color temp.

6. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

This is so true. Disheartening at times to look at your tank and see all the brown instead of green. Give the phosguard time, it will help. How is yours looking Dom90?
    Mine is totally gone now. It just kind of disappeared very slowly I noticed and then one day it was just gone. I had phosphates in my water. Have you tested your water?

7. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

If you have hard water with a lot of minerals you can look into getting some nerite snails. They are voracious diatom eaters but do not survive in mineral deficient water. From what I can tell they do not eat aquarium plants.

8. OP
    OP
    d

Yes I did test for phosphates tap water has .5 ppm. After using phosguard for 4 hours phosphate reads 0 ppm. Tank been running for a few days now with phosguard in it and still reads 0 ppm Will prolly get a silicate test kit also. To check tank and tap water.

9. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

The first thing you should notice is that you are getting less new ones forming. Some people have said they have had to wipe theirs off and then they didn't come back.
    Nerite snails are great for any kind of algae and also brown diatoms. But of course its better to prevent it.

10. Wendigoblue

WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

My 29 gallon has been battling diatoms (green and brown) for a while now. I purchased zebra nerites (as recommended above) and they have almost completely eaten all the algae in just a couple of weeks. They're pretty and get the hard to get stuff on plant leaves. You might want to get a few!

11. amyncognitoNew MemberMember

I think my mystery snail ate the diatoms on my plants too, if that helps

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well, like stated above, my substrate contains some silicon so I think I'm gonna have to buy even more PhosGuard to make up for this. Ugh, if only I knew diatoms were caused by silicates, I would've gone with another plant substrate... Not complaining about the growth of all my plants though. I guess that's the tradeoff if you want great plant substrate.

13. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

By definition, silicates constitute well over 90 percent of the rock-forming minerals of the earth's crust. It's unavoidable unless you avoid using any natural substrate or rock.

14. OP
    OP
    d

The Phosguard has helped a lot and it doesnt take much of it to accomplish it. used the recommend amount on bottle. I still have a few diatoms in tank but growth of new ones slowed drastically had very little of them i cleaned up and it has been several days since I cleaned them. The ones I have left are in hard to clean areas. I use a paintbrush to scrub them loose just a pain to get to them.

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The PhosGuard is working for me as well. I have only a tiny bit left that I will spend cleaning this weekend. The combination of PhosGuard and a Mag Float is deadly against diatoms lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice