Help Diatoms taking over my tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbowpebble

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am still cycling my 125 gallon and currently, diatoms are taking over my tank and rocks. I know that they appear during the end of the cycle, but they are covering everything. To the point that the tank looks disgusting.

LFS said I don't necessarily need a protein skimmer yet because I am building up bacteria.

Will it go away on its own after my cycle and I put in a skimmer? Or will I have to scrape it off? My sand is brown.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you using RO?

When I first started my brackish tank I got tons of brown algae everywhere. I thought for sure it would never be the same again.

But when I switch to RO water and increase the flow over the worst areas of the algae the algae disappeared almost completely.

rainbowpebble

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't have an RO unit. I've just purchased everything besides the skimmer and I don't really have any money to spend on a unit after $3000+ on the tank and the contents..

Is there any other way? And as far as I know, my tap water is of good quality.

Thank you.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was buying my RO from Walmart for .37 cents a gallon before my machine.
I really notice a big differance in algae when I switched.

I'm not an expect, but you may make sure your water source doesn't have high silica or phosphate. I believe your algae will feed off of this.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You may also look in Craiglist for a good used system. I've seen them in there for very reasonable prices. (less than 100 dollars)

rainbowpebble

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it safe to do a water change now that my cycle is not done yet? My LFS is making me go back in on Saturday or Sunday for a water test. I'm in the middle of a cycle but I'm guessing towards the end since I have diatoms.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If ammonia and nitrite are down and you only have nitrates, you could add CUC to help with the diatoms. The bacteria will mostly only lower the ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate will require a lot of assistance from your filtration so RO water will be very important and a skimmer will definetly help alot. They're required IMO (some may disagree).

rainbowpebble

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't tested yet but I should be able to test tomorrow, if not Tuesday. I should be towards the end. I'll give it a few more days or the end of the week until the end. I'm hoping to be able to add CUC soon because I really want my tank to be clean. I'm also going to be getting a skimmer very soon.

rainbowpebble

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will. Thank you. How do I clean up the diatoms after, though? It's alllll over my tank and my rocks. It's almost scary. Will they clear up on their own, even the ones on the rocks?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will. Thank you. How do I clean up the diatoms after, though? It's alllll over my tank and my rocks. It's almost scary. Will they clear up on their own, even the ones on the rocks?
When your nitrates level and other nutrient levels goes down, they will start to starve until they die. CUC will also assist to remove the algae.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Start using RO water you can find veding machines. I use Wal-mart Culligan machines I pay 25 cents for gallon and I have tested there water several times its all good!The problem you are facing is your just feeding the algae with phosphates minerals etc filtered water should not have that in it also get a skimmer asap this will help pull the algae from your tank what type algae do you have at this stage? also what will help is use a phosphate sponge or equivalant Put a good amount in a sock and run it in your sump or what not run it for three days then change and reload this will pull phosphates first then second load will remove silicates leave second load for a week this will get you closer to using RO water but trust me you must start using RO as soon as possible or algael blooms will keep happening.

ibiaquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When your nitrates level and other nutrient levels goes down, they will start to starve until they die. CUC will also assist to remove the algae.
I agree with this comment.

Said exactly how it is.

Grab 2 or 3 turbos snails, depends on your tank size... your brown stuff will be gone in no time. Just ask yourself how your feed them once your clean lol.

Also.. not really sure how many people do this... in this way or for this reason as such, but i have a refugium, with decent lighting... seems to collect all the **** from out the water as it passes though (filters LR, LS, copepods anthropods etc) and i also have 2 turbos in their. Seem to be as happy as ****, more happier then the one still in my tank. They always moving about. You could keep them in their.

Hopefully your d.tank would create enough food for general survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom