Diatoms?? Please Help

Jhurst

Valued Member
Reaction score
My 75 gallon african cichlid tank has been set up and cycled about 10 months to a year, but i cant shake this brown algae mess.. ive tried everytbing, more light, less light, phosguard, cleaned everything and it comes right back.. i am on a well with a water softener, but in 6-7 years in fish keeping its never given me this problem.

TIA

Attachments

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jhurst said:
My 75 gallon african cichlid tank has been set up and cycled about 10 months to a year, but i cant shake this brown algae mess.. ive tried everytbing, more light, less light, phosguard, cleaned everything and it comes right back.. i am on a well with a water softener, but in 6-7 years in fish keeping its never given me this problem.

TIA
What type of substrate do you have....also do you know if your water is high in silicates or phosphates...it took my 150 over a year to completely cycle away from diatoms

Jhurst

Valued Member
Reaction score

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jhurst said:
Im using caribsea black snd white cichlid mix substrate and no i dont know my silcate or phosphate level but i do currently have phosguard in my canister
From what I can see from a quick search the caribsea black sand is known to cause brown algae issues

Jhurst

Valued Member
Reaction score
Its the mixed blacked and white bags but im sure that doesnt matter, i think im going to try and test my tap water to be sure, my water isnt the source of the problem but ive never switched out substrates on a cycled aquarium before. Ill need to look into that, i have been thinking about switch to straight black sandblasting sand anyway. Will it disrupt my cycle if i were to make the switch?

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm using white pool sand and I've had Diatom issues for months. Everything I've done doesn't help. From what I've read, everything points to the sand. I'll be swapping out to BDBS.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jhurst said:
Its the mixed blacked and white bags but im sure that doesnt matter, i think im going to try and test my tap water to be sure, my water isnt the source of the problem but ive never switched out substrates on a cycled aquarium before. Ill need to look into that, i have been thinking about switch to straight black sandblasting sand anyway. Will it disrupt my cycle if i were to make the switch?
It would disrupt it but if you have a good biological filtration setup it wont be detrimental

Jhurst

Valued Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to determine weather it is coming from the substrate or not?

Jhurst

Valued Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to determine weather it is coming from the substrate or not?

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jhurst said:
The only sure way is to test your water...I mean you could do a complete substrate change and see if it goes away but that wouldn't be exactly productive

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom