Diatoms outbreak

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also am experiencing a diatom outbreak. I have zero plants, and am a little overstocked (40% WC weekly to keep nitrates below 30ppm). I have seachem matrix, matrix carbon, and purigen in my filter. I have ordered a phosphate test kit and seachem phosguard media...curious what others have done to battle diatoms..curious if anyone has thoughts on if the carbon is leaching phosphates (same carbon for about 2.5 months) ...been reading up on seachem renew as an alternative to carbon...thoughts?

DarkDroid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been battling Diatom outbreaks for several months. Just when I think I have them licked the come back harder. Currently I'm waiting on a silicate test kit so I can get my tap and see if that is a source for the silicates. If so I'll get some phosphorus remover and hopefully finally give diatoms the boot.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
phosphate kit arrived today...tank water was way off the chart..color went immediately dark blue almost instantly...added the seachem phosguard today and will update if it is successful in 4 days (suggested treatment time)any ideas as to how phosphates get that high? tap water tested at roughly 0

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only other thing that adds to phosphate levels that I can think of are fertilizer and left over food. Do you have a clean up crew?

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5 very small albino cory cats and 2 newer small albino bristle nose plecos

new plecos have already made a difference in diatoms on glass but jot much help yet to diatoms on decor

juscallmej

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the phosguard should help. typically diatoms usually go away on its own after a few weeks. I usually would give the decorations, glass,rocks etc a good scrub with water changes.

how big is your tank and what is your stocking.

I agree overfeeding and overstocking will increase those phos and nitrate levels significantly. live plants will defintiely help lower these over the long run as well.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
40 gal, 6 skirt tetras, 5 very small cory cats, 2 albino plecos, and 6 juvenile electric blue acaras...yes i know i am over stocked, now that i have a pair of the acaras, 4 will be re-homed shortly once a friends tank completes cycling

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom