Diatoms or Beneficial Bacteria?

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,

I’m sorry, I know neither of the above are algae but I didn’t know where else to post this. Both diatoms and beneficial bacteria are brown (as far as I know), so how do you tell the difference?

I’ve attached pictures of the stuff growing in my filter.

Thanks image.jpg image.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
is it a newer tank and are you seeing some of the brown on your decorations? If thats the case then they are most likely diatoms and will wither away as the tank becomes more established and if they brush off easy then that is also an indication of diatoms. Be sure to not throw that messy piece of filter media away but instead rinse it out in a bucket of tank water to keep your cycle going.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah mulm is just mulm it's mostly brocken down waste but it's still growing in the same area as brown algae

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah that is a dirty floss from the filter. Diatoms almost look like rusty spots on the rocks and decorations.

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I rinsed out the filter media today in a bucket of old tank water. It made the old tank water brown and cloudy. There is sometimes some light brown stuff growing on the glass but it doesn’t exactly grow in spots.

I had the tank for over a year with a betta. Awhile after she passed away, I added three platies. This was about four months ago.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom