diatoms or algae

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive been having a problem with this brownish stuff spreading through my tank. it is a 55gal mbuna tank with gravel and cichlid stones. it was really bad for a long time. now it seems a little better. i changed to a fx5 filter and the water became crystal clear. it forms on the glass, in the creases of the cichlid stones and in the gravel. i replaced my light with one that has a night mode that is blue. now i only use the bright lights for viewing and the blue lights for the rest of the day. it seems to be a lot better but i noticed today that the surface of the water looks oily. you can see the brown stuff on the top of the water under a bright light.. i dont know what this means. im not really worried because all my paramiters are good and the fish look great, im just curiuos. the brown stuff seems to form where the light shines the most which makes me think that it is algae. i just dont know

luke355027355027

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the same thing in my 160 my LFS reccomended nerite snails and getting new daytime lights. I just scrub it off the glass weekly but I will tell you if the snails help. As for the oil I have not had a problem like that yet.

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks a lot. i might try the snails also as they are something that will work with my mbunas.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The oily surface can be from oil on your skin, fish waste, decaying plant or food, and a few other things if I remember correctly. If you don't have a lot of surface agitation you can drop the water level a little so the filter outlet disturbes the surface more (HOB), redirect the current (canister filter), or add an airstone. Another thing some do is add a surface skimmer to remove the film.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
good morning. thanks for all the info. im gonna check it out. i never dreamed there was this much stuff invoved in fishkeeping. it seems like i learn something every day with these guys i really appreciate the people on this site and all the helpful info and tip i get

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I'm glad you are finding the information provided helpful . We have many members so full of information! Everyone is glad to help and friendly.

Keep us posted.

Ken

luke355027355027

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
good morning. thanks for all the info. im gonna check it out. i never dreamed there was this much stuff invoved in fishkeeping. it seems like i learn something every day with these guys i really appreciate the people on this site and all the helpful info and tip i get
When i first joined i knew a little bit like water changes and dont overfeed. I still dont know everything and would not be where i am fish tank wise if it wasn't for this site.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom