Diatoms in new tank

1. Diego

Diego Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have had my 50 gallon set up for 2 weeks. Its fully stocked with about 25 fish, good amount of live plants and some fake ones. I am already seeing diatoms or brown algae or whatever it is starting to take over my tank. Its everywhere on the plants and glass. What can i do abou this besides scrubbing it off? I put in 1 dose of seachem flourish if that makes a difference but i think it started before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. andrearamirezo91

andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey! I Had a bunch of Diatoms on my driftwood when I first got it. It went away on its own maybe 2-3 months after. I know its hard to look at, but I think its just one of those things that you have to wait out till everything falls into balance. I used to try to syphon it when I was doing water changes but it didn't make much of a difference since they would just grow back. You can always get an algae eater of some sort to help with the problem. With a tank that size you actually have a lot to choose from.

What is your setup currently like? Did you cycle the tank? What do you have for lighting and how many hours a day is your light on?

3. OP
    OP
    Diego

Diego Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My light is on anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. My tank is seeded from another and i finished seachem stability dosing. I have a finnex fugeray planted+ ( low-mid light LED)

4. OP
    OP
    Diego

Diego Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also i did have a ruby nerite snail and it cleans up the tank in a day or two, but i took it out because it pooped like crazy and also layed eggs even crazier. The eggs are super annoying and hard to take off

5. andrearamirezo91

Ratings:
    +12
    Your lights are on for way too long, you should try to cut it down to 8 hours a day and see if that helps! :)

6. OP
    OP
    Diego

Diego Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was told it wont since diatoms are not algae... but ill try it.

7. andrearamirezo91

Ratings:
    +12
    Regardless of the diatoms, keeping the lights on for that long will bring you other problems further on

8. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    +1

Shoot for 8-10 hours a day or the diatoms will be the least of your problems as other more annoying algae will likely start to grow.