Diatoms in new tank

1. Diego Member Member

Hi i have had my 50 gallon set up for 2 weeks. Its fully stocked with about 25 fish, good amount of live plants and some fake ones. I am already seeing diatoms or brown algae or whatever it is starting to take over my tank. Its everywhere on the plants and glass. What can i do abou this besides scrubbing it off? I put in 1 dose of seachem flourish if that makes a difference but i think it started before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Hey! I Had a bunch of Diatoms on my driftwood when I first got it. It went away on its own maybe 2-3 months after. I know its hard to look at, but I think its just one of those things that you have to wait out till everything falls into balance. I used to try to syphon it when I was doing water changes but it didn't make much of a difference since they would just grow back. You can always get an algae eater of some sort to help with the problem. With a tank that size you actually have a lot to choose from.

What is your setup currently like? Did you cycle the tank? What do you have for lighting and how many hours a day is your light on?

3. Diego Member Member

My light is on anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. My tank is seeded from another and i finished seachem stability dosing. I have a finnex fugeray planted+ ( low-mid light LED)

4. Diego Member Member

Also i did have a ruby nerite snail and it cleans up the tank in a day or two, but i took it out because it pooped like crazy and also layed eggs even crazier. The eggs are super annoying and hard to take off

5. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Your lights are on for way too long, you should try to cut it down to 8 hours a day and see if that helps! :)

6. Diego Member Member

I was told it wont since diatoms are not algae... but ill try it.

7. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Regardless of the diatoms, keeping the lights on for that long will bring you other problems further on

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

+1

Shoot for 8-10 hours a day or the diatoms will be the least of your problems as other more annoying algae will likely start to grow.