Diatoms In Established Tank

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Another brown algae fighter here....any help welcome me!

First off my tank is well established....years. I have multiple tanks using the same source water, WC routine, etc. So it is something off balance in this tank.

The tank. 37 gallon with Finnex LED lighting generally on 10-12 hours a day. Heavily planted but low tech, no CO2 including dense floaters depending on my last cleanup.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20. KH and GH 5 drops. I have no reason to suspect high phosphates or silicates as other tanks are fine. I hate to buy more test kits.

Temp 73-76 for tiger barb school of 12 and panda Cory school of 7. Two HOB filters (rated 40 and 30), gravel substrate, wood decor and low tech plants.

I introduce snails naturally but they don’t seem to populate. I suspect the eggs are being eaten.

I add flourish, nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium weekly with WC’s.

I’ve tried liquid co2, blackouts (some sources say diatoms need more lighting), scraping glass and removing plants to soak in CO2 ( this works but it grows right back).

Should I add lighting? Add otos? Upgrade to CO2 pressurized?

Image1525137874.443315.jpg
Image1525137901.420911.jpg

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I found this happened in one of my tanks and I was so confused as well. It turned out to be that the filter was not moving the water enough because it had been clogged. Once it got back to full flow, everything has been fine. Have you checked your water circulation? Best of luck

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ddelpinal said:
I found this happened in one of my tanks and I was so confused as well. It turned out to be that the filter was not moving the water enough because it had been clogged. Once it got back to full flow, everything has been fine. Have you checked your water circulation? Best of luck
I’ve considered this yes. It’s a tall tank and the HOB filters don’t move water well other than at the top. I do have a airstone but I don’t think that does much either. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom