Diatoms Growing On The Side Of War Coral!

Discussion in 'Hard Coral' started by Lorekeeper, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I recently ordered a LPS frag from a company that, turns out, isn't all that great. Seems that they frag as they get orders in, so that's a bit unfortunate.

However, the coral has also taken a beating in my tank. It's been jostled around and dropped off the rock a few times. It does seem to be doing alright, as it has tentacles out nearly all day and all night, and still has pretty good color. However, I noticed some brown algae growing on the skeleton on one side of the frag.

Should I treat the area with peroxide? I've treated soft corals before with good success, and I'd guess that as long as you keep the peroxide off the flesh you'd be alright. Or should I leave it alone?

Obviously, the root issue needs to be solved, and I'm well on my way to fixing my nitrate and phosphate issues. Nitrates are climbing to just above 10 every week, and Phosphate has been topping out around 0.1 PPM. Trying to cut my phosphate down by about half. Weekly 50-70% WC's have been the routine for a few months.

Any advice?

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Thanks, Coradee!

I ended up brushing off some of it with a brush yesterday. Got most of it off. Hopefully as the coral settles in a bit more and Phosphate drops it won't be an issue.

4. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFishWell Known MemberMember

What kind of coral is it?

I haven't done peroxide with hard corals and would be hesitant with how sensitive some can be to anything. If it is a hardier coral type with improving water quality AND with making sure the frag will not fall again, the coral should recover on its own. I have lost several frags due to them falling several times... It can be infuriating trying to get a frag to stay!

5. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

War corals are one of more Hardy LPS.

Yeah, it was the glue I was using. I switched brands, and it's secure now.

6. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Thought I'd update by saying that diatoms have begun to recede after the coral has had a while in a bit more of a secure location, out of direct light.

That said, I did read up on using peroxide on LPS, for anyone who's interested. Basically boils down to this:

Full-strength 3% peroxide can be used on the skeleton of a coral, as long as you're careful that none gets on the polyp. So, as long as I was careful, I could have treated my issue with peroxide with no ill effects. If you're unable to really get to the area with the algae, you can do a peroxide dip with 80% tank water and 20% of the 3% peroxide, keeping the coral in it for 1-3 minutes. You'll see a very unhappy coral for a week or so, but it'll treat all the algae and leave the coral to heal itself. However, if the root cause isn't solved, dipping a coral can leave it even more vulnerable to algae and bacteria, due to the stress of being tossed into peroxide. Use with caution!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice